• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

90 Seat RJs - Redefining the Profession

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been told that Mesa-Freedom Air's pilots just signed a deal to fly the 70 and 90 seat RJs for less than the current ASA 50 seat rate. They also agreed to the jets for jobs plan. If so, that makes Mesa pilots the new whores of the industry.

Is undercutting other pilot groups to drive down wages improving the profession? Thanks ALPA brothers at Mesa.

ifly4food said:
I've been told that Mesa-Freedom Air's pilots just signed a deal to fly the 70 and 90 seat RJs for less than the current ASA 50 seat rate. They also agreed to the jets for jobs plan. If so, that makes Mesa pilots the new whores of the industry.

Is undercutting other pilot groups to drive down wages improving the profession? Thanks ALPA brothers at Mesa.

I hope you're information is inaccurate, but I fear it may not be. It's amazing what pilots will do to themselves, especially unemployed pilots.

Before you condem Mesa pilots, are you sure those are the people accepting Freedom's offer?

Also, don't over look that there are people at JBlue, Spirit, AirTran, Vanguard, ATA, Frontier, etc., who fly 320s, DC-9s, 737s and 757s for WAY less than their counterparts at the "major" airlines. Don't blame regional pilots too much if they follow in the footsteps of their superior big airplane drivers. After all regional pilots are only in training.

Note also that regional pilots are defended by a union that apparently works harder against them than it does for them.

Publisher wrote:
"The majors interest at this point will be in maintaining several feeder relationships and they will watch carefully to see that they do not grow too large".

That may very well be true, but I sure cant see it. Have you looked at DCI expansion in the last 6 months, especially ASA? Watch what happens to ASA alone in the next 6 months. The only thing that will be able to stop the planned growth at ASA is DALPA. And we should know something fairly soon. I personnaly think that DALPA has a lot more power than people give them credit for and I hope that they come out of this with a leading industry plan to save their profession as well as their WO's. Although sometimes they do sound off the wall, I think that they are a little more level headed than the rest of the Major's. Hope I'm right.

Surplus,
Atlanta has a very real problem conserning customer service, not only at ASA, but the resteraunts, and neighboring communities. I personally have never seen any local population so rude in my life. Pay is an issue, but every day several rampers are arrested for various reasons or fired after a piss test. Yes, this is unequovocally Delta's problem, but almost unavoidable due to the work force availability. I know this is a round about way to describe the inherant problems in ATL, but I dont want to offend a specific group of the local population. I believe the ramp pay is the same or very close in DFW and MCO but there is night and day between DFW/MCO and ATL.
Additionally, if you take a look at the April 7th timetable, and look at the DCI gates picture, you will see that the whole north side of D will soon be all DCI. I have been informed by individuals in the GO that US Air will be leaving and we will be getting their gates as currently shown in the time table, (although I have asked the US Air folks there and they know nothing about leaving ATL) so who knows. Also, in the 5 year plan, ATrans is scheduled to move to a new sattelite concourse off of the new runway and DCI will have all of C. Although not an immediate fix, but there is a plan.
On a side note, just recently it has been determined that the delays are mostly the flight crews fault???? We now have to be at work one hour prior to departure (was 45 mins), Seems the individuals that put in the delay codes didnt like the real reason and changed them to reflect late crews, etc. On time departures are still about the same.

ACA

There has been expansion at all of them, but Delta has definitely favored more expansion where Comair cannot hurt them as badly.

Tim47Sip,

Your message about ATL is loud and clear and I agree. It's unfortunate, but it's also true. I really don't envy anyone that has to work out of that airport or live in that city. It's a lot like EWR in many respects.

Sounds like the new plans will help a lot in the gate space department. I'll probably get shot for this, but the HR department could do better in the back of the airplane too.

Good luck to all of us.

57fly'n,
People could go straight home on the rj except that scope clauses don't allow a high enough percentage of point to point flying for that to happen. I bring this up because the talk here is about customer service. That being the case would it make customers happier to fly p to p? Should we then adjust scope to allow it, for the customer?
Brian De Jong

Mike,

Did you delete one of your posts that was directed to me?

Thanks,
Surplus1

PS. Check your Private Messages

Last edited:
MONEY

Hay ever check out what a Sr. Captian makes at UPS, Some where around $17,500 a month. not bad 2nd year FO $6,365.00 A month or so.:D

Latest resources

Back