90 Seat RJs - Redefining the Profession

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Surplus ,

Do you even fly the line? You seem to have more time to spend here than any pilot I know.

surplus1 said:

I don't know too much about the "island" (which we don't operate) and I'll have to agree that I've often shared the pain of Concourse C in ATL (which we also do not operate). Now that we're doing some ATL runs, it's a cause of constant concern (at C & D) in maintaining our accustomed level of service/reliability. I didn't want to point fingers at other carriers.

The Metro has difficulty qualifying as an airplane. They are long gone, but they still didn't cancel for loads. They canceled for mechanicals. If you look at the trip numbers between IAH and DFW you'll find we don't fly that route. We have 1 daily RT CVG-DFW; 3- DFW-CRP and 1 DFW-SAT. If you've had trouble on those let me know. I know there's this DCI thing, but the truth is we still haven't been "assimilated" (thank goodness). Please don't lump us into that barrel. We've been bought, but we still have our identity which I know, regretably, may eventually die. We can't be responsible for other "brands" or their people. Like I said in the other post, "all regionals are not the same".

Hmm...Very interesting posts. I'd like to see Comair run the stations (ATL C+D and Gilligan's Island) better with the resources and job pool we have. I'll admit, it is pretty bad in ATL, but DFW actually does a decent job. Unfortunately, making matters worse in both places, Delta has us operating more flights than we have gate space for at times. This alone is a source a good portion of our troubles. If we would invest in a facility like that Taj-Mahl Comair has in CVG, it would certainly help. In order to do the job, we need to have the resources.

Also, I've spoken to managers regarding the manpower problem. I don't know what the situation is like in CVG, but in DFW and ATL, we simply can't find people to work the ramp. Those that do come to work often aren't worth the money we pay them.

Finally, it certainly isn't our crews. All of us are working twice as hard to try and pick up as much of the slack as possible. Howfully management will get it together. Or, if we were merged, they could bring in some of the Comair guys and apply their ideas. See if they could make it work.

After all, we essentially work for the same company already...;)

Frats,
An E120 Captain at that "other" carrier

surplus1 said:
No, we're not using ACARS. Our pay system does not lend it self to padding. There is no need. Most of us would prefer to maintain our reputation than the few cents you migh occasionally pick up. It's a pride thing, seldom understood in today's world. Part of our "culture", which is very much our own.

I never mentioned pay. It's very easy to just say "out ontime" over the radio when you're say, a mere 5-10 minutes past departure. As for pay - for my own education - you don't get paid scheduled vs. actual? Are you paid a peg time? How do you get paid for going over block?

The Metro has difficulty qualifying as an airplane. They are long gone, but they still didn't cancel for loads. They canceled for mechanicals. If you look at the trip numbers between IAH and DFW you'll find we don't fly that route. We have 1 daily RT CVG-DFW; 3- DFW-CRP and 1 DFW-SAT. If you've had trouble on those let me know. I know there's this DCI thing, but the truth is we still haven't been "assimilated" (thank goodness). Please don't lump us into that barrel. We've been bought, but we still have our identity which I know, regretably, may eventually die. We can't be responsible for other "brands" or their people. Like I said in the other post, "all regionals are not the same".

I never said loads (first pay now this... guilty concience?). I said reliability. This includes maintenance. As for DFW-IAH , Comair did fly that route when I was employed. Skywest took it from you guys I think in JAN or FEB. Now I have to jump on you for the second half of that paragraph... are you or aren't you operationally integrated? That seems to be the big argument for the PID but here you are putting it in writing that you're not.

PS. Hoping you'll soon be back.
Thanks, me too, but I have been enjoying the time off. When's the next time my schedule will show 82 days off (and counting) in a row? I just wish I could afford to golf more....

May,
What does president mean? Is this your website? Perhaps that would explain why it always leans in a particular direction. You are very opinionated, which is fine, but do you feel that others should be able to express their opinions as well?

Surplus,
Don't worry too much about Publisher. Most of what he says makes no sense, and what does is pretty offensive. I think he likes airplanes, but hates hourly workers. He keeps telling us that he went to the RAA convention in Nashville, but nobody seems to care. I personally don't like shows, I would rather fly airplanes. People like publisher are the reason I don't like talking to management types.

Surplus

You may be right that Comair could not have withstood the strike that long and costly, the question is whether everything else would have remained the same if Delta had not been the parent.

The RAA is an association and does not really state positions on this as to spin offs or not.

The majors interest at this point will be in maintaining several feeder relationships and they will watch carefully to see that they do not grow too large.

I do not have a crystal ball but I would think that AE is a likely candidate for spin off. They could move everything to Executive and do it quite easily. Perhaps an ACA and ASA combine and spin on the Delta side.

Skydiverdriver, I do not think that Surplus is worried about me. He puts intelligent thought into what he writes.

The point as to your labor agreements, the majors are just going to want enough lift out there that they always have a contract carrier available. As for me, I am not even sure what a regional is.

There is no doubt that more frequency with smaller aircraft is not as efficient as one flight a day in a large aircraft. But the customer drives the need and it looks like, especially based on the SWA model that more freq. with smaller aircraft is what the general public wants to see. Both here in America and Europe, look at Easyjet and Ryanair in the U.K.

sabreliner said:

Hmm...Very interesting posts. I'd like to see Comair run the stations (ATL C+D and Gilligan's Island) better with the resources and job pool we have. I'll admit, it is pretty bad in ATL, but DFW actually does a decent job. Unfortunately, making matters worse in both places, Delta has us operating more flights than we have gate space for at times. This alone is a source a good portion of our troubles. If we would invest in a facility like that Taj-Mahl Comair has in CVG, it would certainly help. In order to do the job, we need to have the resources.

Also, I've spoken to managers regarding the manpower problem. I don't know what the situation is like in CVG, but in DFW and ATL, we simply can't find people to work the ramp. Those that do come to work often aren't worth the money we pay them.

Finally, it certainly isn't our crews. All of us are working twice as hard to try and pick up as much of the slack as possible. Howfully management will get it together. Or, if we were merged, they could bring in some of the Comair guys and apply their ideas. See if they could make it work.

After all, we essentially work for the same company already...;)

Frats,
An E120 Captain at that "other" carrier

First off, no offense to ASA pilots. As you point out, flight crews don't cause customer service problems in 99% of cases. I know a lot of your pilots and I don't find you to be any different from us. This isn't about pilots, it's about customer service and what used to be a corporate culture. (Note the past tense).

Now that Delta owns both Comair and ASA, whatever happens in the future will be Delta's responsibility. At one point in time Delta was noted for superior treatment of customers. Ever since Ron Allen's 7.5 initiative, Delta service has deteriorated. That's not exactly a secret. Leo has been trying to restore it, but the "difference" that once was is gone.

What I said about ATL is based on my own experience as a passenger, not as a pilot. Who you hire to do your work is management's responsibility. The "job pool" available to you is dependent on how you pay your people and how you treat them. Even in Georgia, it IS possible to find good people, train them and pay them.

I didn't start out by criticizing anyone or naming any company, I just responded to FlyingSig who is a Delta pilot not an ASA pilot.

However, the truth is the truth. ASA service in ATL is lousy. In terms of the facility that CMR has in CVG, keep in mind that we didn't get it from Delta. We did it ourselves, with our money. The ability to provide good service was the result of reinvesting in the Company. There used to be a reason for that. Now that we have no company, what Delta does is what Delta does.

Before Delta bought ASA, it was well known that your owners put all the money in their pocket and invested little back into the company. That's their fault, not ours. The fact is that ASA's operations have improved as a result of being acquired by Delta. I'm probably blind but I can't think of anything that's improved at Comair since Delta swallowed it.

I agree that you don't have enough gate space in ATL, you never did. Based on observation, the gate space that you DO have is not managed very well. Chaos, is what it looks like to me. Again I blame ASA management (pre Delta). They did nothing to imporve their service and kept all the money. Pretty much everyone has the opinion that Delta bought ASA because of its bad service. I don't know if that's true or not. All I know is I haven't seen much of what I would call improvement. Delta has more money, but your new management hasn't done anything that I can see as a passenger (except change your paint job).

I obviously have no idea what Delta will invest in ASA or CMR in the future. Since Delta's interest in Comair has little if anything to do with the quality of service, I suspect it will deteriorate over time to the new "company standard".

Bringing in Comair people wouldn't do much to improve anything, in my opinion. The show is Delta's now. They are erasing our culture whereever they can and replacing it with their own. The truth is it doesn't matter any more. We've lost what we had and will just have to live with whatever replaces it. When a shark swallows a gold fish, the glitter vanishes in the gray.

Take care bro. The past is history, the present is mediocrity and the future is anybody's guess.

may said:

BULL ----- **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**,

Your service has caused me more grief in the past than 3 screeming two year olds. I have to voice out now that you have crossed the line. I tried to read all your posts on recent issues with an open mind, and do firmly believe that you do have the blinders on. FDJ and Clownpilot have my vote. You accuse them of not seeing the other side but with your statements in the post in which I have quoted, you clearly are Hard headed one sided and all in it for yourself. If you are married than I would guess you have been divorced. If not, then I guess you have never been maried. If you are married and never been divorced then I'll bet your wife is affraid to divorce you. You show no signs of compromise and want it your way. I think BK is still hiring, and I don't mean their flight dept. You can fool yourself into thinking the RJ is for everybody, but until you create your own airline of them you will always be the step child. You are right in one thing you do probably get treated differently as a nonrev, because you certainly don't see the missery of the paying public.

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed or were you just born with an unpleasant personality?

FlyingSig said:

I never mentioned pay. It's very easy to just say "out ontime" over the radio when you're say, a mere 5-10 minutes past departure. As for pay - for my own education - you don't get paid scheduled vs. actual? Are you paid a peg time? How do you get paid for going over block?

As far as I know, when it comes to statistical reporting, "ontime" is within 15 minutes of scheduled departure/arrival. As far as ACARS goes, I've used it and know all those tricks too. The ONLY point I was trying to make is that we have no incentive to pad the times.

With respect to pay, its greater of schedule or actual by segment. Isn't that how you get paid? I don't even know what a "peg time" is. There is no incentive for being under block. If we're over block we are paid for actual. Sorry, but I've apparently missed your point.

I never said loads (first pay now this... guilty concience?). I said reliability. This includes maintenance. As for DFW-IAH , Comair did fly that route when I was employed. Skywest took it from you guys I think in JAN or FEB. Now I have to jump on you for the second half of that paragraph... are you or aren't you operationally integrated? That seems to be the big argument for the PID but here you are putting it in writing that you're not.

You didn't say "canceled for loads" but the original posted implied that was the reason for cancellation/consolidation. Yes, you said reliability. I think our dispatch reliability is better than yours.

No, I don't have a guilty conscience about anything. Any chance you have a chip on your shoulder?

Where did I say we were not operationally integrated? Unless I'm mistaken what I did say was that we hand not yet been "assimilated". That means that in spite of the operational integration, we haven't yet lost all of who we once were. Some of us (that includes me) don't want to, but ALL of us realize that it's eventually inevitable.

We've already had the funeral service but we're still in mourning (and praying for a resurrection that we know probably won't come).

Latest resources

Back