• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

80-100hrs of IOE at mesa??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A friend of mine at Mesa said the average IOE time is now runing 80-100 hours. Sims have been extened from 10 to 15-20 to accomidate the new skill level of the new hires! I'd be really nervous if I was a capt there. Doesn't the FAA have any oversight to say thats too much hand holding?

Maybe but TWA routinely ran 100+ for initial Captain upgrade on the CV880/B727/B707 back in the late 60's and early 70's. Lots of guys did not make it through those programs in those days.

Maybe but TWA routinely ran 100+ for initial Captain upgrade on the CV880/B727/B707 back in the late 60's and early 70's. Lots of guys did not make it through those programs in those days.

Yeah, but those were real airplanes that you had to be a real pilot to fly. We are talking RJ's here.

Also in a section of Flying the Line ,a reference was made to the head of the FAA trying to tighten ALL checkrides to an unrealistic standard because he believed all accidents were pilot error, and training to his standard would solve this problem.

Yeah, but those were real airplanes that you had to be a real pilot to fly. We are talking RJ's here.

Can you die flying it? Then it's as real an airplane as it gets. People have died flying RJs. Not sure what is more real than that. The laws of physics will not be suspended for anyone. Not a B707 pilot. Not a RJ pilot.

It seems like skywest really takes care of their new hires! :nuts:
I usually don't find myself defending SkyWest on here, but in this case, I'd rather the company protect the flying public and the employees already on property (Captains) than try to polish the proverbial turd. SkyWest gives its new-hires ample opportunity to succeed, those that don't probably shouldn't be flying the line anywhere.

Latest resources

Back