• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

8 Hour Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
These rules also say that if the delay is out of the control of the company.

I don't see how sitting and waiting for numbers or rampers to be parked or anything like that can be considered "out of the control of the company" and thus not cause illegality if exceeding 8 hours.

sorry hoff. 30 in 7 is scheduled as well.

if you overflew earlier in the 7 days then you cannot start an assignment that schedules you over 30, but can surely fly over it, just like the 8 hours.

Oops, must have been thinking the 16 hour duty rule.

There is a rule, it is called the Whitlow rule.
I think that you will find that the Whitlow letter was used by the FAA to enforce the existing 121.471 limits on crew rest rather than directly addressing max duty day. If you need at least 8 hours rest in the last 24, that will indeed dictate no more than 16 hours of duty but there is no such limit mentioned there or in the regs.

I think that you will find that the Whitlow letter was used by the FAA to enforce the existing 121.471 limits on crew rest rather than directly addressing max duty day. If you need at least 8 hours rest in the last 24, that will indeed dictate no more than 16 hours of duty but there is no such limit mentioned there or in the regs.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

A litmus test for this reg is whether you can remain "on call" indefinitely as a reserve. You can, but you need the 24/7 consecutive rest or release for rest per lookback. Whitlow nailed the ATA to the wall with the lookback requirement, but we've moved into a weird world where "on call" and "duty" can get blurred. My airline's FOM fellates donkeys regarding the FARs on this issue. Somewhat of an aside, but still pertinent.

So overall, we have no such thing as a "max duty day" per the regulations; it is a notion put in check by minimum rest requirements.

Latest resources

Back