• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

787s for Delta? Huh? Rumor alert....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta has Anderson who, on the surface at least, is looking out for his employees and is trying to negotiate the best deal he can to protect them. This is good, although one has to wonder how much concern he has for the welfare of his former (and possibly future) employees at NWA.

NWA has Steenland, who also places a high value on his employees. In fact, I'm confident that during these negotiations he is trying to extract as much compensation (for himself) as he possibly can in exchange for each one he throws under the bus.

This is the same d*****bag who raped his employees pensions and salaries then rewarded himself with $26M in bonuses. He was unavailable for comment as he was being canonized by the Pope today.

Exactly. Now I don't know all the details of the negotiations between the MECs - I would say that most if not all of the posters on this forum don't know the details either. What we do know is that we were unable to reach an agreement. Dalpa was able to negotiate a LOA with DL mgmt, and NW Alpa was was unable (or did not try) to do the same with their own mgmt.

It is the fiduciary responsibility of each union's MEC's to protect its own members. Yes - it would have been great to have worked out an agreement in advance. But that did not happen. That does not remove Dalpa's responsibilities to its members.

People are blasting the DL pilots - but does anyone really think that the NW pilots would not have done the exact same thing had the tables been turned? We, unfortunately, do not have a national seniority list - therefore, we have no choice but to look after our own interests first, then work with other pilot groups when necessary.

Who would the NW pilots negotiated a LOA with? NW mgmt of course. The NW contract and any LOA's will still be in effect after the merger until there is a new combined contract.

Which mgmt team should we have negotiated with?

Why, NWA's of course. That's who your collective bargaining agreement is with.

Why would we do that as apposed to working with our fellow alpa members? Both MECs had a negotiated contract but hadnt agreed upon the sli.

The SLI negotiations were going nowhere. They were done, dead in the water.

Why did DALALPA go to mgmt and leave the NWA pilots out of it only to agree to less than the original amount? They could have done that and made it contingent upon the agreement of the SLI if it was in the best interest of both pilot groups. The way this took place did nothing but divide the pilot groups and hopefully it hasnt divided us to much.

As more time drags on, as the economy continues south, as the price of oil continues upwards, the incentives from managenemnt dwindle. How long should DALPA have waited to get the inevitable deal done? As stated numerous times, the SLI negotiations were dead.

Granted I'm just a line guy with no inside information. The only guy on this website who really knew what was going on appears to be Occam.

This post and $2.00 will get you a grande coffee of the day at your local Starbucks. (Free on Wednesdays with a coupon from Useless-A-Today.) :cool:

Last edited:
More "average line pilot" stupidity.

In a nutshell:

the nwa position was unreasonable

the delta position was not

the delta mec is opposed to arbitration

the nwa mec should be opposed to arbitration?

Oh dude, how sweet the koolaid MUST be over there:

A proposal that has 2/3s of the NWA pilot group losing between 15-20 percent in relative seniorty, not to mention stapling the bottom 800 NWA pilots...so, remind me,exactly how is that fair?

If that's what your MEC (and you) consider reasonable, no wonder you guys are rapidly becoming the most reviled group in ALPA.

the landscape of both companies will be very different by then

time is not on the nwa side, they know it, hence the reason for the expedited arbitration request, if that is not trying to use your leverage to screw your union brother I don't know what is

Wrong there bucko...it's called preventing a blatent seniority grab. Nice job with the threats, though. See how far that gets you.

Nu

deleted, not worth tossing back the poo.

Last edited:
The Eastern pilots walked out in support of their mechanics.

They had no choice! Review the history, Sport!

In your view of history ALPA should have called a "National Strike" at the demand of Charlie Bryan, a Machinist? What were the NWA pilots doing while their mechanics were out on strike? So you are saying even though you did not support your mechanics, ALPA should have called a "Nation Wide Strike" to support Eastern's?

Yes, I am saying that a Nation Wide Strike should have been called in the Eastern Strike! King George Bush the 1st, was President then, and sat by and let Lorenzo have his way--or maybe it was orchestrated! George W. and pals orchestrated the plundering and demise of pensions through Bankruptcy. Had at least the Transportation Unions taken a stand then, we would not find the industry in it's current situation! Even the French can figure that one out!

I would have supported the NWA mechanics! But the question for you is, what were the Delta pilots doing on their days off during the PATCO Strike in the early 80's? Many were working in the ATC centers and tracon pulling strips, helping the supervisors break the PATCO strike! Research that! That's the first time ALPA should have taken a stand! Regan won, and it was the begining of the attack on all organized labor.

I hate to bust your chops, but there are no comparisons between you and EAL. :rolleyes:

Are you broadening the argument? There are lots of comparisons between EAL and every airline that still has a Union to bust! But, maybe we should keep the argument narrow and save that one for another time!

Your MEC has taken a no win position. Their stated goal is to stop the merger. Everyone else is extending to you olive branches and invitations.

If "Everyone" is DALAPA and their pilot group, they are inviting the NWA pilots to a slaughter--olive branches are simply the camo!

The rub is, that the "no win" solution can become a self fulfilling prophesy, with the greatest harm coming to you. Is it worth denying yourself $30 so someone else does not get $7? That is all that has been accomplished thus far.

The rub is, your group crack-back blocked the NWA group! You don't seem to understand that both parties have to win in a negotiation with no windfalls. Otherwise, it want work for either group long-term!

I'm not trying to make you mad. I hope you and your leadership change your minds. Delta is a good place to work, you will like it here - and - as a matter of fact, you are going to be a Delta pilot, so you might as well figure out how to make the best of the opportunity.

That is the objective, just not on Lee Moak's "take it or leave it terms!" He thinks he is control, but it's not even half-time yet! Be smug, but know that you have no clear victory!

So that was the beginning......

:cartman:
In your view of history ALPA should have called a "National Strike" at the demand of Charlie Bryan, a Machinist? What were the NWA pilots doing while their mechanics were out on strike? So you are saying even though you did not support your mechanics, ALPA should have called a "Nation Wide Strike" to support Eastern's?

Yes, I am saying that a Nation Wide Strike should have been called in the Eastern Strike! King George Bush the 1st, was President then, and sat by and let Lorenzo have his way--or maybe it was orchestrated! George W. and pals orchestrated the plundering and demise of pensions through Bankruptcy. Had at least the Transportation Unions taken a stand then, we would not find the industry in it's current situation! Even the French can figure that one out!

I would have supported the NWA mechanics! But the question for you is, what were the Delta pilots doing on their days off during the PATCO Strike in the early 80's? Many were working in the ATC centers and tracon pulling strips, helping the supervisors break the PATCO strike! Research that! That's the first time ALPA should have taken a stand!
Regan won, and it was the begining of the attack on all organized labor.

So that was the beginning..... how interesting, I was born too late, apparently before Regan, everyone got along and had ice cream socials. Well at least today we have computers to bitch about how we've been wronged, before this comment, I heard they used to throw bricks and start fires.... Hope you had a great weekend!
Luv

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back