• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

757 Lands on Taxiway at EWR & Pilots Bolt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even better than that is the ILS 11 circle 29...stay over the Runway 4 at 1000' .... they call your base, chop and drop, and it looks more like a 172 pattern than a jet. You better be configured over the numbers or you will never make it.
whose not configured over the #'s

Who cares, no blood no foul. It's not like this is the first time its ever happened. US Air (737) landed on the taxiway in DTW a few years back.

Yeah...and a week after the CAL BK and pilot strike in 1983, a scab crew on a CAL DC-9 landed on a taxiway in DEN....with frank lorenzo aboard.

Tejas

Glad someone mentioned that. I was wondering if it was just me that didn't see the reasoning behind that comment. In fact, if it's not lighted, how did he even see it to land on it?

I suppose that will come out later. They were confused from the beginning, obviously.

There are many factors that lead to something like this and the lack of edge lighting on the taxiway is just one of them.

Sounds like these guys were pretty darn good - landing a 757 on a 70' wide taxiway.

It's called: "Using your superior piloting abilities to make up for a total lack of situational awareness."

Personally, I'm impressed.

Agreed. That's the exact philosophy that has kept aviation going for over a thousand years.

I've heard from some good sources that this particular captain had just completed IOE on the 757/767. The FO is on probation and I'm not sure who was flying that leg. I'll refrain from making any judgement calls as I'd do if this happened to any of your airlines. I can't imagine what was going through these two guy's minds on the taxi in.

I've done the approach in question at night in a 737 and in the ERJ and can tell you that it is challenging but fun. There are many variables that should be looked into regarding this incident or whatever it is being described as. Newark really needs to take a look at the taxiway light issue as I've said for years. Not trying to make excuses for these guys but i'm sure the NY Times would love to hear about EWR being one of very few major airports without taxiway edge lights.

Okay guys, you can go back to bashing CAL and these pilots now!!

I've heard from some good sources that this particular captain had just completed IOE on the 757/767. The FO is on probation and I'm not sure who was flying that leg. I'll refrain from making any judgement calls as I'd do if this happened to any of your airlines. I can't imagine what was going through these two guy's minds on the taxi in.

.....crawling back into mom's womb?

Latest resources

Back