• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

757 Lands on Taxiway at EWR & Pilots Bolt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FYI....last I heard is that the pilots involved are assissting the company in the investigation of the incident. So much for Pilots bolting...

Tejas

In G. Bethune's book worse to first...he even talked about NOT firing a crew for doing a gear up landing because it was an honest mistake, they were following procedures up until that point, and they fessed up. All of these seem to be true in this incident.

Almost....Gordon Bethune explained the difference between firing the crew that landed gear up and not firing the crew that landed at the Navy Auxiliary field instead of CRP.

Tejas

I personally believe they did a good job considering Jeppesen doesn't publish approach charts for taxiways and they had to make do with less than optimum data.

As someone mentioned earlier, the crew were probably ragging about the punk in the RJ landing ahead of them - and they were probably wondering why he was so far displaced from the centerline.

I personally believe they did a good job considering Jeppesen doesn't publish approach charts for taxiways and they had to make do with less than optimum data.

As someone mentioned earlier, the crew were probably ragging about the punk in the RJ landing ahead of them - and they were probably wondering why he was so far displaced from the centerline.

Well....unless they've heard the CVR....I think it's really best to wait until the investigation is complete...

Tejas

I wonder if anyone has ever done this, and walked away without anyone ever noticing. If the plane went back out, the CVR would have recorded over it. You might have some people 'think' that it landed on the taxi way, but it wouldn't be a reputable source. The tower/ground controllers there are busy at certain times and may not have seen it. I suppose the black box might show them off of the LOC down low though. The crew could play ignorant and say "I'm dang near positive we didn't land on a taxi way". Of course they would have talked to their lawers first.

Has anyone ever done something wrong, and no one noticed?

I wonder if anyone has ever done this, and walked away without anyone ever noticing. If the plane went back out, the CVR would have recorded over it. You might have some people 'think' that it landed on the taxi way, but it wouldn't be a reputable source. The tower/ground controllers there are busy at certain times and may not have seen it. I suppose the black box might show them off of the LOC down low though. The crew could play ignorant and say "I'm dang near positive we didn't land on a taxi way". Of course they would have talked to their lawers first.

Has anyone ever done something wrong, and no one noticed?

If they hadn't realized their mistake and fessed up, I'm guessing the only indication that they landed on the taxiway would be the big black skid marks on Z. I can imagine it now....the next morning at EWR a bunch of people standing around scratching their heads looking at the tire marks like someone had done doughnuts in their front yard the night before.

Does anyone know the width of the main gear on the 757? I'd be interested to know how much clearance the gear had from the taxiway edge.

Although if the wheels went off the edge, from the information provided on this thread about EWR, they wouldn't be running over any more than the plastic reflectors. And maybe some signs.

IMHO, this is a situation where the average crews will make mistakes regularly (perhaps 1 every 1000?) ... a circle to land in the type of weather described, in a 757 where the crew probably hasn't done that type of approach in the airplane in months or years, to EWR and runway with no navaid. In other words, it's probably a good thing that this 4/29 circle is rare.

Single pilot, I once aborted a takeoff on on a taxiway. I didn't turn myself in and the tower didn't either. I got lucky.

Almost....Gordon Bethune explained the difference between firing the crew that landed gear up and not firing the crew that landed at the Navy Auxiliary field instead of CRP.

Tejas

details details...it's been close to 10 years since i've read the book...I stand corrected.

Later.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back