• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

747 tanker

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Relax. You're getting way too defensive and wrapped around the axle about all this. You assume I have no firefighting experience, well you would be wrong. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on some aspects of the incident.

I think everything avbug said here is dead on. Anyone who has more than one season under their belt knows the super tankers are just a publicity stunt for Calfire.

The DC-10 may have had a lot of experience in the aircraft but none in this environment. Downdrafts are part of the game and to say the Lead did not warn them of this is typical airline pilot rethoric.

You assume I have no firefighting experience, well you would be wrong.

Volunteer fire department social organizer, then? You didn't know what a leadplane was...still don't. You called it a "chase plane." You don't know it's role. You don't know the heavy tanker role. Yet you're a firefighter, then?

Do tell. Do tell.

Set your barbeque alight one day and singed off an eyebrow, did you?

Man, you guys are defensive. Are you always this thin skinned?

Relax. You're getting way too defensive and wrapped around the axle about all this. You assume I have no firefighting experience, well you would be wrong. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on some aspects of the incident.
Sorry, but there is no way you can accuse them of being overly defensive. There was VERY NEARLY yet another tragedy on fires, in which would have most certainly been a fatal accident for those on board, which would have most definitely had major repercussions on the rest of those in aerial firefighting.

Avbug and DC4 have more fire experience than me, but I have got a few seasons in on the air and ground. Anyone who has been around the air side long enough, has probably experienced losing close friends. One guy I know who flies on fire, has lost more friends in aerial firefighting, than he has friends left.

Both Avbug and DC4 can tell you what it is like to lose people you know, and there have been too many great people lost doing this. A huge part of doing this safely is it proper training, and learning lessons when something can do better. Its not being defensive to want to the proper training and experience required for safe operations.

I am not sure how the DC-10 training was to get carded, I have heard somethings but cant verify so cant comment there. But I really doubt that DC-10 captain was highly experienced in tanker flying, and if that was his first year on fire, that is just asking for yet another tragedy.

And if his first instinct was instead was just to blame others (lead plane, etc) and mountain turbulence for what happened, that kind of mindset is dangerous.

There is no need to "relax" when it comes to aerial fire operations, it is a deadly serious business. Here is what it boils down to, a list of good people who are not with us anymore, a list that is way too long, and none of us want it to get any longer.

http://www.airtanker.org/memorial.htm

Last edited:
I agree that there should have been more training and more research done on how the best way there was to effectively utilize a DC-10 tanker. With the incident I think it is clear that it has to be utilized differently than the other tankers. In no way am I trying to place all of the blame on anyone. There was clearly some problems that need to be addressed and worked out. There is just no need to get all fired up about it. Is there room for a civil discussion?

You need to remember, that one reason the aerial firefighting has had so many deaths, is there was a time where things were too relaxed, and maybe if people had been more outspoken and "fired up", there would be less widows, and children who lost a parent.

If there is anything getting fired up about, I would say a DC-10 hitting trees on a drop, flown by a crew without much fire experience, definitely qualifies.

There's room for civil discussion after you pony up and tell us about your firefighting experience. Your credibility is shot until you back yourself up...else there's really nothing to discuss with you.

Lying does that for you.

Latest resources

Back