747 fire bomber

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
007:

I flew scoopers for fifteen years both North and South America and I can assure you we regularly dropped directly on the fire line. ( mostly the head )

Just as a guess I would say we dropped directly on the fire line in about 80% of the time.

The rest of the time we would have long term on board and of course lay a guard.

That was probably more than 15 years ago...today going direct is infrequent and more often cowboyish. One secures the flanks, seeks an anchorpint, and then begins building line and using other fire tactics.

Going direct on a fire is the most effective way to split a head or flank, effectively creating two or more fires, and effectively reducing one's chances to successfully control the fire. This all depends, of course, on the individual fire and it's circumstances, which are legion.

If you're dropping water, which is far less effective than retardant, the only choice is to go direct. Sometimes it's very effective, but most of the time when direct attack is used, it's only because there are few other choices.

A few years ago we were the only tanker in Florida. We were early in the season. We went to a fire south of Punta Gorda, that was pushing a busy highway, moving south. A state air attack was overhead, and we linked up with him on-site. I did a turn around the fire, and found a structure on the east side that could make use of the retardant. The flame front was close to a mile wide, with 250' flame lengths, rolling hard, and moving with the wind which was about fifteen knots at the time, from the North.

The FDF air attack told us to hit the head, go direct. He knew that news helicopters were in the area, and he wanted the publicity. I advised him that we'd lose the retardant and quite possibly split the head, if the retardant had any effect at all. Our best, and really only true option with the load, considering out turn time, was to lay some protection for the structure and buy it some time.

The FDF ATGS said, and I quote, "This is Florida. That's not our style. In Florida, we hit the head."

It was his call, and we flew down a beautiful clear tunnel beneath the smoke column, directly adjacent to the flames, and hit them with a trail drop, coverage level 8.

Two hours later we were back with another load. The first had split the head, crossed the highway, stopped all traffic, risked numerous lives, and took structures (including the one we identified). Thankfully for us, we were stylish in the best Florida tradition.

Aerial firefighters do NOT fight fire. We support ground troops, who do the real work, and the hardest work. Often that involves backing up a handline, or a cat line. It may mean painting a ridge, or more commonly the backside of a ridge to prevent slopover, or even pretreating a field downwind of a burn to prevent or reduce spot fires. It may mean boxing off a helispot or LZ for troop protection. It may mean many things. But on a large fire, going direct is the least effective means of fighting fires.

Like or not, current, time proven doctrine, and one I live by. Over a fire, the first year pilots are evident when they suggest initial attack tactics, because they're always the ones who want to go direct, and usually to attack the head. The more experienced hands are usually the ones who start putting drops where you might not expect it; right along the flanks or from an anchor point...right where they need to be.

The biggest two exceptions for air ops are helicopters which generally go direct on spots or work flanking fires with helibucket drops, and SEATs (Type III, IV) tankers which do a lot of initial attack work at the very early stages...and often will lay an X over the fire or box it at a single tree or two to prevent spread. This is generally always done with retardant, whenever possible.

In big fire situations in timber, going direct has about as much effect as spitting in a furnace, especially with foam, wet water, or just plain water.

Thank you for the condescending sermon on how to fly water bombers.

Yes I quit the business in 1986, however in the fifteen years that I did fly water bombers no one ever suggested that I was a cowboy, much less indicated that I did not undersand what initial fire attack was all about.

Our method of waterbombing was quite effective, and even in those dark ages we were smart enough to know when it was either ineffective or not safe to continue so we would cease operations.

And isn't it strange that I survived so long making more drops in an hour than most land based pilots would in a day.

Anyhow thanks for giving me a lesson in flying these things.

However it a little late as I very much doubt I'll need the new found knowledge.

And by the way did you do many drops in the Andes Mountains?

If so maybe you could re adjust my lack of knowledge in that enviorement also?

Cat Driver

If it was so **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** effective, mate, you wouldn't have had to do that many drops.

Think about it.

As for the "dark ages," there's a reason that the statistics are much better today than they were 10, 20, and 30 years ago. It's not luck.

The Andes hold some special technique that's only applicable to that chain of mountains, perhaps?

And yes...I have.

Ah well, I guess I shall bow to your superior skills and knowledge.

Hey, I am now teaching pilots how to fly large flying boats for a living..

Can you maybe take some time to give me some pointers on where I am lacking in knowledge in that area as well?

Cat Driver:

Don't take it personal Cat Driver. Avbug is an expert on a lot of things.

Avbug, we realize you have vast experience fighting fires, but just curious how much 747 time you have? You seem extremely knowledgeable about the inadequacies of this aircraft and its use as a fire fighting platform.

Last edited:
Tell me this, mate. I see you fly the 747. How much time have you got flying it low and slow, 200' at landing airspeeds in mountainous terrain in zero visibility in extreme turbulence with large objects flying about, loaded to gross? Do it in formation flight with dissimiliar aircraft, with up to 50 others nearby (hint; you might need to maneuver suddenly). Then turn around and buster home, for the fastest hot turnaround of your life. While you're at it, be prepared to work on it; you'll be doing a lot of the maintenance. You'll need a support squadron to follow, of course...but is it sounding like your cup of tea, yet?

Wanna give it a shot? You do that; you go fly in the fire environment and then tell me what a great platform you think it will make.

You then go down on the fireline and work a few seasons. Get hit with a drop or two. Tell me how you feel about getting sixty thousand pounds of water in your face, coming hard at 150 KIAS. Then tell me how appropriate that kind of a low level load is for the fireline.

Catdriver, I see your site indicates you're providing PBY training. Must be a big market for that...especially as you require the customer to provide the airplane. I'm not going to tell you how to teach...so long as it's not teaching firefighting. If you are, then it's probably time to attend class before getting back in the game. The game has changed...considerably for the better.

wow.. i can almost hear the chest thumping from here.

just forget it..he can pee farther than anyone. cant you tell he's the baddest mofo on the planet? no one is as X-treme and hardcore as he is.

Avbug:

:D :D I would never dare to put myself in your category. :D :D :

I don't think I would live long enough near the expert you are.

By the way an expert is a " has been, drip, under pressure "

You take care now and dont hurt yourself banging that big head into hard objects. :D

Furlough..... Avbug is delusional, probably loads the tankers and hears wrong in the bar after hours.

Cat Driver:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back