Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hawker rider said:
Somebody needs to get laid

It helps, but only for a little while. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Is it supposed to hurt so much? Any pointers?

Will anyone be honest with me on this one? There seems to be a very distinct line concerning "airline flying" and "other flying". In most civilian cases the other flying is flight instructing and such. While I am impartial to any of the views and bitching that goes on here, I must say that you cannot blame or flame someone on the "other" side for saying they would kill for the chance to fly a 747/757.....etc. I think we can say that all of us have said this at one point or another early on in our careers. That being said, when you do cross over to the "airline" side, views definitely change. It is only human nature to want what you can't have and when you have it, you get tired of it sooner or later. I do agree that eventually it comes down to Quality Of Life and once I did follow the belief that I would do anything to fly a 747 etc. However, even after 6 years(not a lot i know) into airline flying I still do get that spark of interest to fly something that big. The difference is that we "airline" folk start putting conditons on when and how we would fly that kind of plane. Not biased either way, just offering 2 points of view for anyone who cares. Laters

deceptibum said:
Will anyone be honest with me on this one?

Probably not, but you never know.

deceptibum said:
It is only human nature to want what you can't have and when you have it, you get tired of it sooner or later. I do agree that eventually it comes down to Quality Of Life...

What I would have said were I not always striving to be a smart a$$.

deceptibum said:
The difference is that we "airline" folk start putting conditons on when and how we would fly....

I'm not "airline" folk yet, but I wholeheartedly agree that a little discretion about what we do on the career ladder would benefit everyone in this industry.

A very wise and crusty old DE once told me about a whore house that was closing down in a nearby town. When he asked one of the girls why, she said, "well, we can't make any money when all the locals are giving it away for free."

Should I take a $1500/mo. (or less) FO job at a regional just to get some turbine time (and eventually, upgrade) and fly something bigger and better than what I'm flying now? Boy, it's tempting, but then I'm part of the problem. Unfortunately, my protest vote and standing up for some sort of principle is probably a waste of breath, not unlike this post is probably a waste of bytes.

Men acting like children

You know what? As ridiculous as this thread has become it proves my point: Pilots get treated like children because we act like children.

Children, spoiled rotten.

I want this. <you get it> I want that. <you get it> I want those. <you get them> I want these....

Nobody takes any satisfaction in having done a job well. Everyone is striving for a destination and forgetting about the journey.

Here's my feeling:

I was a CFI, worked seven days a week, 12 hours a day and starved. But I had a BLAST. I made some great contacts that I still use today. I learned tons about myself and other people.

I flew in the Bush for three years. Overloaded airplanes, bootleg IFR, 14 hour duty days, utter rejects for boss's. But I had a BLAST. My decision making was tested time after time and improved with each season. I met some of the best people on the face of the Earth and my stick and rudder skills were never better.

Now I fly 747s all over the world (literally). I've had 20 hour duty days. I can't remember if I should add or subtract to Zulu time. I've been on the road for a month at a time. I do my banking on the internet. But guess what? I'm having a BLAST.

If I had to fly back and forth between LAX and PHX in a turboprop for the rest of my life I would do it and when I retired I hope I would say, "I had a blast."

I had a blast because I totally threw myself into what I was doing at the moment. I lived for the moment. I wasn't standing around, green with envy, longing for something that wasn't mine.

It sounds like a cliche' but it's so BASIC it amazes me that most adults never figure it out: When you're searching for something the first place you should look is inside. You'll never find it elsewhere.

(As a vague reference to another thread) go ahead and quit your job if you hate it so much. Please. Because you're just harshing my buzz.

Which is it?

Just curious: Which part is a "blast" for you, the 20 years of boredom or the seconds of terror?...:D... :confused:

No malice intended. I respect your take on things and your path. I sincerely admire people of all walks of life, garbage man, dog catcher, or 747 pilot who has never longed for more than they currently have, and I acknowledge that they exist. Can't really figure out who you're posting about though. Isn't it possible to enjoy the journey and look forward to the next stop on the itinerary?

If you think my perspective is childish or that I don't take satisfaction from a job well done, then there's probably no need to weigh you down with the facts.

As an aside, I would argue that if pilots are treated like children, it may be because so many have an "I'll-do-anything-to-fly" fascination with the "notion" of being a pilot and not an adult-like respect for themselves as skilled professionals. This is definitely not directed at you.

Too much coffee this morning...probably should have let it slide!

Everything in between

k_EAT=ho_ME said:
Just curious: Which part is a "blast" for you, the 20 years of boredom or the seconds of terror?

If I have to explain it, you'll never understand.

Good luck.

WillowRunVortex said:
I wonder how many 80's American Airlines operates? NIMROD

Oh, and my guess from the reaction is you are a Riddle graduate,,,LOL
WRV,
Over 360+ MD80s, however they hoped to start getting rid of them back prior to 9-11 (replaced with 737-800s), so I would not beat your chest over flying the SUPER80.. Why don't you tone it down about 50 dbs. You sound like a couple teens with your hormones out of check.

AA

AAflyer said:
WRV,
Over 360+ MD80s, however they hoped to start getting rid of them back prior to 9-11 (replaced with 737-800s), so I would not beat your chest over flying the SUPER80.. Why don't you tone it down about 50 dbs. You sound like a couple teens with your hormones out of check.

AA

Sorry about that ,,,but did you read the pre-lude to that particular post? He asked for it.

Ps. I probably am due for a hormone check,,,just joking

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back