Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Endorsment for HPA

I will caveat all of this with the following facts:

1. I currently work parttime as a 737 instructor at HPA.

2. I received my type from a different school than HPA.

Not many folks can say they have seen two 737 schools up close but I have. While I won't badmouth the other school I will say unequivocally HPA is outstanding. Not because I teach there (I do very little now since there are many furlough folks who need the extra cash but I cherish my relationship with Joe, Mark & the rest of the folks there).

Mark & Joe are never happy with the status quo. When a recently troubled airline had a yard sale for different training equipment Mark & Joe rushed in & purchased a ground based simulator that is now utiilzed exclusively for folks preparing for their flows. By purchasing this & incorporating it into the syllabus all of students benefit by having a super training aid to practice their flows PRIOR to that first sim which allows for more flying time in the first few periods versus wasting valuable flying time in a "real sim" doing flows. They have also purchased some large classroom mockups of the major Boeing aircraft systems that allow for a clear visual approach to seeing how the different systems work, not just an overhead slide mind you but very useful training boards that enhance training & learning for the orals.

The other schools I'm sure are very fine also but before you make your decision please PM me so I can discuss some other advantages also. Good luck in your search.Higher Power Monthly Newsletter

Last edited:
HPA all the way.

Mark, Joe and gang are simply outstanding. Most fun I've ever had in a training course.

If I had to do it again, I would go back to HPA. The K&S folks will probably say that as well, but K&S won't take you to "The Ballpark at Arlington" ;)

Yahtz

Just curious...

What is the typical class size at HPA? I did my type at K&S and the max in that class was 6.

Class Size

I believe I was at the biggest type rating class at HPA (according to Mark Sterns). It was about 20 people. I recommend HPA with all my heart. If you meet Mark, you just will not go anywhere else. Mark told me that classes will never be that size again. I went there with about 2000 TT 700 PIC turbine and had a very easy time on the type given the quality of the instruction and my preparation which I am sure you'll do the same.
Go to HPA, you will not regret it. You'll also get to see some of the SWA folks as they come by on Fridays. Also, we were given a tour of SWA HQ, sims and maintenance facilities by one of the instructors. Nothing beats that. Since I went there (JAN2002), HPA has improved its facilities and training tools. You just can not beat that. Trust all the folks that have posted here...GO HPA

Thank Swerpipe,

I as wrote, I'm already typed, went to K&S. My very good friend asked me for a recommendation as to where to go. I've talked to HPA and I already know the folks at K&S...the last unknown is the current class size, on average, at HPA.

Sounds like 20 in a class was an unusual circumstance. Can anyone share what the normal class size is at Higher Power?

That was great! I read the Higher Power News letter & had a good laugh! I know Gene York, he was featured on the last page, he was the pilot that turned 68 years old, poor Gene, he will never live that one down!

Go to Higher Power........Great instructors and a well run program. A free lunch at the Arlington stadium to boot. I also got a chance to see the mighty J.A. Tarver at this lunch, groveling among the students and panhandling for some business for her pathetic "interview assistance" scam. It was a M.O similar to the other scamster, Kit Darby. For you younger bucks, she was the lady who did the hiring at American Airlines for years, back when I was interested in working at American Airlines. She told us her other part-time business was running an ice cream truck, Oh, how the mighty have fallen,

Went to K&S for my type back in May. It was just me and one other guy. Needless to say, we had one-on-one instruction. I think they said the max they will take is six or eight students at a time. I thought the instruction there was top notch and I highly recommend K&S.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back