• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 Type, Career ender?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're that concerned about it, tell them you won the type by attending an airinc job fair or something like that.

Why would anyone fault anyone for trying to get a job? There is nothing wrong with trying to get a job....anywhere.

I do think people tend to think of the negative side of things. "All that money and if they don't hire me"...etc...

Life is about taking chances.

I would rather take a shot at it then wonder the rest of my life what would have happened if I had done (fill in the blank) it.

Why not try with the truth. ' Southwest has been hiring for a while, so I got the type. As soon as I found out that CAL was hiring I couldn't wait to apply for new dream job' or something to that effect.

I was never even asked about mine at the CAL interview. They hired me with the type.

What ever you do, don't try to hide the fact that you have the type. That would sink you in an interview really fast.

Good Luck

CLAMBAKE

qxdash8,
SWA/FO nailed it. I got my 73 type in hopes of getting hired at SWA but a lot of other doors opened up while waiting for the PD to call. I was fortunate enough to learn that an old friend was flying for FedEx and he agreed to sponsor me. When I met the ACP in Memphis, I had 737 on my certificate and resume/cover sheet. He never asked me about it. I’m delighted to say that I was too ignorant to second guess every step I made during the job-search prep (I did my share of that too, but not to that extent) because I probably would have convinced myself not to contact Higher Power Aviation and get the type. I was selected to continue at SWA’s July decision board AND was granted an interview at FedEx despite that 737 wart on my certificate. Best of luck to you.

bafanguy said:
Seems like propjob27 said it very well. Having a rating in an airline airplane ( yes, I know some corps fly them ) can't hurt your chances getting hired at an airline. It just shows you were motivated enough to do that to get an airline job.

Or motivated enough to sell yourself out.

Face it, why was SWA at the Miami career fair. The line went around the building. Is there really a deficit of people either in the pool or being interviewed? He!! no, its a simple business venture, give as many people the notion that they will be hired by SWA, and in turn Aeroservice sells hundreds of type ratings at reduced cost.

Gee, I need to buy a 737 sim and quit this flying gig.

Anybody want to go in?

Wouldn't it be interesting if people stopped buying their type's and SWA only had a pool of non typed applicant's to choose from.

I know this scenario will never play out, but it seems regretfully too many good people are buying their type merely to get the interview and are summarily rejected-a shame, a lot of great guys lately getting the letter instead of the call.

TheDogsBollocks said:
Wouldn't it be interesting if people stopped buying their type's and SWA only had a pool of non typed applicant's to choose from.

I know this scenario will never play out, but it seems regretfully too many good people are buying their type merely to get the interview and are summarily rejected-a shame, a lot of great guys lately getting the letter instead of the call.
Did you see all the "but at least I got what was behind door #2" responses.

propjob27 said:
You can explain it away without too much trouble. "Yes sir, I have a 737 type. I was furloughed at the time so the Illinois WIA program paid for most of it and I viewed it simply as a "sim prep" for upcoming interviews, to keep me current, and keep my head in the aviation game, etc".
Don't take it personal, but I hope all you "free money" people get what you deserve.

propjob27 said:
.....You can explain it away without too much trouble. "Yes sir, I have a 737 type. I was furloughed at the time so the Illinois WIA program paid for most of it and I viewed it simply as a "sim prep" for upcoming interviews, to keep me current, and keep my head in the aviation game, etc"

If you were military only, you can throw that out there too as an explanation. "Coming from a military background, I got a 737 type to familiarize myself with civilian transport category aircraft, and since the 737 is the USA's most popular fleet type, I figured that was the one to get. etc.."

In other words, you can explain pretty much anything away, as long as you can tell a story with a straight face and w/o looking nervous. If you can't do that, you aren't going to get hired anyway.

Sorry propjob, but this is some terrible advice! Both of the examples you gave were so transparent that any interviewer that wasn't on his first day on the job will see right through those stories.

Instead, I would choose a slant where you acknowledge that you went after SWA...and for good reason (they are hiring record numbers, you met their quals, and you want the best chance for a solid job in this shaky industry). Don't dwell on it--where you need to concentrate is convincing the interviewer that you want to work for their company even more than SWA. I had the opportunity to explain this very situation in my AWA interview last year, and this is pretty much how I handled it.

Latest resources

Back