737 Type, Career ender?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

qxdash8

I know that to get an interview at SWA, you really need to have the type these days. So you go out and spend the 7 g's on the type rating and then like the majority of others that have tried it, you dont make it through the DB. So now you want to interview at some other airlines. Is having the trype really going to hurt your chances? Does anyone out there have any experience with trying to get hired at an airline, other than SW, with the 737 type?

As you may have gussed, I'm trying to decide if I want to take the chance. I would really like to work for SWA, and paying for the type is worth it for me (yes, I know, PFT...big risk, etc.). However, if like the other 70-80%, I dont get hired, I would still like to have some other options.

Got my type, didn't get hired by SWA, got hired at AirTran. Good luck to you. If you can afford the training it's a good education regardless of where you end up. That said, I wish I had my money back. Call me shallow.

I have a class with jetBlue and I wasn't asked about the type in my interview. I don't think they care. Did I get the interview because of the type? who knows. I'm sure it looked better on my resume, don't you think?
I suggest HPA if you decide to do it. Awesome operation! I also split my ground and sim a couple of weeks apart. I had more time to prepare for the sim. It all depends on your preference. Good luck!

I have 3 (former) co workers who got the type, interviewed but were not successful at SWA, and were subsequently hired at other majors.

For me it was a no brainer. SWA was the one place I really wanted to work. If having the type hurt my chances at other airlines, so be it, since they weren't my first choice anyway.

And remember some of us DO get hired the first time around. Focus on getting hired, not on what to do if you get turned down. Glass half full kinda thing.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Best of luck.

I wouldn't say it is anything close to a "career ender", especially if you are halfway decent at explaing yourself out of things.

I got my 737 type in June, and was turned down by SWA. However, after getting the type, I got interview calls from AirTran and Continental. I went to the Continental interview first and was successful, so I didn't get to "test" the AirTran process.

But at CAL, they did ask me "So you have a 737 type raiting?" (I went to the interview with my temp, so it was pretty obvious that I got it recently too). You can explain it away without too much trouble. "Yes sir, I have a 737 type. I was furloughed at the time so the Illinois WIA program paid for most of it and I viewed it simply as a "sim prep" for upcoming interviews, to keep me current, and keep my head in the aviation game, etc"

If you were military only, you can throw that out there too as an explanation. "Coming from a military background, I got a 737 type to familiarize myself with civilian transport category aircraft, and since the 737 is the USA's most popular fleet type, I figured that was the one to get. etc.."

In other words, you can explain pretty much anything away, as long as you can tell a story with a straight face and w/o looking nervous. If you can't do that, you aren't going to get hired anyway.

Seems like propjob27 said it very well. Having a rating in an airline airplane ( yes, I know some corps fly them ) can't hurt your chances getting hired at an airline. It just shows you were motivated enough to do that to get an airline job.

However, as a casual observer of the corporate aviation scene...and having learned everything I think I know about that on this forum, showing airline tendencies ( aka type rating in an airline airplane but not having flown it for an airline, i.e., you must have bought the rating in the attempt to fly for an airline ) MAY not play well in that arena. But, you can probably explain that away also if you're creative enough.

If SWA is where you want to work, and you've got the $$$, go for it. You can't win if you don't enter. Good luck whatever you decide.

P.S. You can have my 737 rating if you want it.

Last edited:
i know of two people at my company who had types, interviewed with SWA, got turned down, and are now with UPS...doesn't sound like it did much damage to them

If you're really nervous about it, get a copy of your license before you get the type rating; then show the old one to CAL.

Thats a bad idea, ever heard of the background check on your certificate? it is called PRIA ( pilot records improvement act ). they will know you gave them a void certificate.

Latest resources

Back