Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

igneousy2

Jetliner safely lands with retracted landing gear in Kaliningrad

KALININGRAD. Oct 2 (Interfax) - A Boeing 737 belonging to the KD-Avia airline safely landed with its landing gear up at Kaliningrad'sKhrabrovo airport at about 11:00 p.m. on Wednesday, KD-Avia ExecutiveDirector Leonid Itskov told Interfax. "The aircraft landed with its landing gear up. The fuselage was notdestroyed, and the passengers were evacuated through regular ramps. Noneof them was hurt," Itskov said. "For a Boeing 737, this situation could be called quite normal.Pilots train for it on the ground," he said. The aircraft is designed in such a way that, "in case one of thewheel assemblies fails to extend, all the other assemblies get blockedand do not extend either, and therefore this situation is considerednormal, and pilots are trained for it," he said. The plane was heading from Barcelona and carried more than 100passengers, Itskov said.

Was I asleep during this part of the systems CBT... 1. I don't seem to remember anything about this.2. I don't see how it could be considered "normal"...3. I think I might have missed the day we practiced this in ground school. Kidding aside...should't the gear have been able to free fall into place...I can't think of a situation where NONE of the 3 gears would have released.

Later

KALININGRAD. Oct 2 (Interfax) - A Boeing 737 belonging to the KD-Avia airline safely landed with its landing gear up at Kaliningrad'sKhrabrovo airport at about 11:00 p.m. on Wednesday, KD-Avia ExecutiveDirector Leonid Itskov told Interfax. "The aircraft landed with its landing gear up. The fuselage was notdestroyed, and the passengers were evacuated through regular ramps. Noneof them was hurt," Itskov said. "For a Boeing 737, this situation could be called quite normal.Pilots train for it on the ground," he said. The aircraft is designed in such a way that, "in case one of thewheel assemblies fails to extend, all the other assemblies get blockedand do not extend either, and therefore this situation is considerednormal, and pilots are trained for it," he said. The plane was heading from Barcelona and carried more than 100passengers, Itskov said.

Was I asleep during this part of the systems CBT... 1. I don't seem to remember anything about this.2. I don't see how it could be considered "normal"...3. I think I might have missed the day we practiced this in ground school. Kidding aside...should't the gear have been able to free fall into place...I can't think of a situation where NONE of the 3 gears would have released.

Later

I believe you're correct. Once the locks are released the gear should free fall.

Never been trained to land "gear-up."

Trained for manual (or alternate) extension.

Maybe it was a Russian reverse engineered 737. Knowing russian a/c safety records, it is quite possible they consider gear-up landings "normal".

Answer:

It is Russia. They ain't right-not by a long shot!

Later

He's definitely FOS. "A" system pressure releases individual uplocks and hyd pressure extends the gear. If pressure is lost the gear will free fall down. It is not an all or nothing system.

I seem to remember seeing older video of a USAir 737 (300?) landing with only one main gear down. They land then the spoilers trip and it just dumps.

They figured if one wouldn't come down, just retract the rest and land on the belly. All quite in a day's work in the former Soviet Union.

Latest resources

Back