Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
satpak77 said:
Interesting to note is Gary Kelly's comment about fuel prices

I think SWA's hedges run out in 2006 (not positive)

addressing the fuel price situation will be a serious challenge even to SWA

2009 but I'm sure there will be more hedging and other futures investments from the top people.

When GK came to MCO a few days before RSW was announced someone asked him about the fuel hedging and he said that right now it was pointless to hedge past 2009 because the futures of heating oil was at $62 for 2009. He said that it might change but was doubtful......He also said that we could actually sell off some of the fuel hedging in the future for a profit...so what ever that means. I don't think that I have ever flown with someone who wasn't excited with him at the top so I guess we will have to see what happens.

Lear-

also I was watching a business report last night and they had on there Richard Branson from Virgin and he was talking about actually buying or building a refinery. I know that the question was asked to GK and SWA actually looked into buying one but I don't know what eventually came up with that.....

Last edited:
No, they won't require a 787 type, they'll build it with round dials and flip switches so we won't have to get more than a one day ground school "737 differences" training. We can still just fly it like an old -200 :)

>>Then raise the fares, moron.<<

Then pay your bills and obligations and if you can't, shut down and liquidate, moron.

The pricing will take care of itself.

"So if Southwest goes with another plane in the future (a smaller 787) would they require their pilots to buy the type?"

No, only the new hires.

FlyBarneyJets said:
We don't necessarily always have the lowest fares in any given market.

For instance:

SEA-OAK 10/4/05 (20 day advance) with return to SEA on 10/5 (lowest available fares):

SWA: $228.40
Alaska: $178.40

Both fares include all applicable taxes.

How about you guys raise YOUR fares? :D

I think that when you look at the facts, it's kind of pointless getting into a whizzin' contest about this, really.

I couldn't agree more, about the whizzin' contest. Sheesh. Some of these guys are a little defensive about their CEO's! It's not like I walked up and punched your mother in the stomach, but I digress. I checked fares on this route as well after you pointed this out and you're right. This pisses me off more than I can possibly describe. I guess I'm not too surprised; Alaska turned into a dirtbag bottom-feeding airline about 5 months ago. I guess I'll shut up now.

Swerpipe said:
An all electric airplane (no bleeds, pneumatic air etc...

??

How do you propose to heat, cool, pressurize, and ice-protect such an airplane without bleed air?

Bleedless 787

CA1900 said:
??

How do you propose to heat, cool, pressurize, and ice-protect such an airplane without bleed air?

I'm not proposing that. Someone else already did. That together with the ligher a/c from composites and efficient engines is how they get the 20% fuel savings. That's how the 787 works. It's all electric. Think of an oversized generator that has ample power to run electric air pumps for pressurization, heat for anti ice etc... Wish there was another airplane to show as an example but there isn't. The engines don't use pneumatic air for starting either.

Latest resources

Back