737 successor for SWA???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mdf said:
How about a little respect for GK. No other manager in america is worthy of carrying his breifcase IMHO!!

AND GO FIND SOME REAL PICKUPS!!

Hey now, talk about having respect. Anybody can sound good with a humbucker. Those early pickups have soul.

mdf said:
How about a little respect for GK. No other manager in america is worthy of carrying his breifcase IMHO!!

MDF,
Refreshing to hear a positive about mgmt on this forum and per
your avitar from an airline pilot with an eye for classic good lines.

ivauir said:
Hey now, talk about having respect. Anybody can sound good with a humbucker. Those early pickups have soul.

They have soul as long as you run them through a tube screamer first! Otherwise way to thin for taste. I like the sound chuncky.......like my women.

AchilleLauro said:
Or are you suggesting collusion amongst select carriers?

I'd support that. There needs to be some price fixing going on. Heck, the oil company's are doing it.

Struggling airlines don't want to increase prices to offset an increase in costs..well, that's just tough $hit for them.

Pass on the costs...folks are NOT going to stop flying, anymore they the are going to STOP going to the gas station.

btw, just went RT to the west coast from the east for under 4 bills. I think I bought the ticket two days out. I think I got ripped off...hehe.

Stupid carriers.

Singlecoil,

As most of us moron pilots think, all we do is raise fares and that fixes revenue. I am by no means an economist, all I am is a pilot.

I too thought that at one time, but we were told while in training that there is a FINE line between what people will pay for an airline ticket. For instance, if the fare is advertised at 99 bucks, if you raise the ticket price one stinking dollar to 100 dollars, that can decrease the sales volume for that market and price by upwards of 40%. It's a psychological thing. $499.99 is a lot cheaper in our minds than 500.00. Southwest is no dummy. They are masters of the low cost pricing science.

AchilleLauro said:
Who's the moron? Someone doesn't understand the principles of supply and demand. Throw in heavy competition in an oversupplied market and, voila, you can't raise prices. Or are you suggesting collusion amongst select carriers? I love it when pilots throw out this catch all fix to the industry. Just fly the plane.

So if the airlines can't raise the prices, who do you think should pay for the increase in fuel price? The employees?

That kind of reasoning is what's killing the industry and our profession. I think you are the moron!

Im hedged with food stamps. I don’t even mind having management paycheck deducting 50$ to help with fuel cost, so Billy bob can fly across the country for 49$

My point is that Southwest generally sets the fares in the markets they serve and other airlines are forced to come down to their prices or lose market share to them. I don't think for a minute that if Southwest raised fares by $10 that other airlines wouldn't do the same. Nobody is stupid enough to try to undercut Southwest as they have made it clear that they won't be undersold.

Does it seem totally unreasonable to assert that if they have the lowest fares in a market and aren't earning a profit, that they should raise fares? I know, they are hedged through 2006 (2007?) and won't be forced to do that for a while, but if I worked there I would surely like to see them try to raise fares before asking me for a paycut.

We don't necessarily always have the lowest fares in any given market.

For instance:

SEA-OAK 10/4/05 (20 day advance) with return to SEA on 10/5 (lowest available fares):

SWA: $228.40
Alaska: $178.40

Both fares include all applicable taxes.

How about you guys raise YOUR fares? :D

I think that when you look at the facts, it's kind of pointless getting into a whizzin' contest about this, really.

A 787 successor?

An all electric airplane (no bleeds, pneumatic air etc...), mostly composite with high bypass turbofan engines while keeping the same type or at least set it up so that SWA pilots can fly both types with minimum training requirements, a 797 I guess or a 737e so that it still sounds like a 73. I'll be interesting. I'm sure Boeing has already started looking into moving 787 technology into the best seeling aircraft. The out of control fuel prices will probably expedite Boeing's efforts plus having yet another chance of hitting Airbus with yet another "challenge".

Latest resources

Back