• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 & "Marrying the Bugs"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some captains just have wierd idiosyncracies. Part of being a good copilot is to just deal with it. Some day you will be the boss and get to set the tone.

Part of being being a good man is not putting up with the blowhard in the left seat.

Even if it is in the manual there is nothing wrong with doing it your way and telling the old fart to stuff it. I told a guy the other day "When it's my leg it is my aircraft.......questions?????" He didn't like it but I decided then I would set the tone for the trip.

As far as heading control if he marrys the bug and gets pissed off whe you don't; when it is his leg, turn the bug out 180 degrees everytime he does it and laugh at him. See what he says to that.

Last edited:
This message is hidden because instructordude is on your ignore list.

Part of being being a good man is not putting up with the blowhard in the left seat.

Even if it is in the manual there is nothing wrong with doing it your way and telling the old fart to stuff it. I told a guy the other day "When it's my leg it is my aircraft.......questions?????" He didn't like it but I decided then I would set the tone for the trip.

As far as heading control if he marrys the bug and gets pissed off whe you don't; when it is his leg, turn the bug out 180 degrees everytime he does it and laugh at him. See what he says to that.

Sure you would. Good CRM doesn't mean you get an equal say in anything. All it means is that you have the right to be heard. The Captain gets to then determine if what you spew out your pie hole provides anything of worth (In your case I'm guessing probably not). I recommend you do one of two things:

1) Refresh your memory on what CRM and professional standards really are; or:

2) Move to South America where you can get your Captain slot and your 5-bar epaulets - that way you can overcome your epaulet envy.

Even if it is in the manual there is nothing wrong with doing it your way and telling the old fart to stuff it. I told a guy the other day "When it's my leg it is my aircraft.......questions?????"

And my response would have been "well, I guess it isn't your leg". Now make yourself useful and peel us some grapes.

Old fart Capt: Close your eyes and tell me what you see.

You as FO: Uh, nothing!

Old fart Capt: VERY GOOD! - that's what's YOURS in this airplane today. Now open your eyes. Everything you see inside these windows is mine. Questions?

Fortunately, just about all of the people I have the privilege of working with don't create such an atmosphere. Guess you're not one of them. You continue to reveal exactly what part of a "good man" you are.

Last edited:
Just ignore him. He gets off on this. And is distracting people from what I thought was a good debate.

I'd like to read the rest of that article about step-down automation. Where did you find it?

On the 737, I think CWS would do that quite nicely. If the LNAV causes an un-expected turn, couldn't you deselect it and level the wings? Or simply override the A/P in to CWS Roll?

The same would apply if ATC said fly current heading - if you're not in a turn, just deselect LNAV.

I personally would take the 2 seconds max to dial the correct heading and then hit HDG SEL.

CWS - most incredible thing in aviation since Orville and Wilbur.

Boeing's automation blows.

PIPE

Latest resources

Back