Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is it settled yet?

just wondering.....

I was just letting Crunk in on how our senior Capts. acquired the habit.

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

I'm gonna take a keyword from your post: habit.

That's all it is, a habit. Most people don't know why they do it, they just do it.

Kinda like knocking on wood. Or putting the gate info in on the pos page when you're using GPS coords. ;)

Other than being an annoyance to the more-anal among us, is there a problem with "marrying" the bugs in the aircraft in question? It still applies as a good practice (and therefore habit) in my current antiquated but beloved steed, but we have no procedure dictating it.

Last edited:
Other than being an annoyance to the more-anal among us, is there a problem with "marrying" the bugs in the aircraft in question? It still applies as a good practice (and therefore habit) in my current antiquated but beloved steed, but we have no procedure dictating it.

On the 737s I fly, apparently it's an old habit. An old habit doesn't equal a good habit. It's not a bad habit, just a habit.

This came up because a Captain I flew with had his hand on the heading bug at least once a minute on his leg. On my leg he got irked that I didn't do the same. Should he have been irked? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

On my leg he got irked that I didn't do the same. Should he have been irked? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Ahh, there's the rub. From your description, I'd have to side with you here. But at the same time, I frequently go halfway or more across the country on a direct clearance (one of the advantages of flying when most people are sound asleep), and the heading doesn't change THAT much. I'd hope maybe six or so "bug nuptials" in three+ hours of great circle cruise wouldn't be too much for you!:laugh:

On the 737s I fly, apparently it's an old habit. An old habit doesn't equal a good habit. It's not a bad habit, just a habit.

This came up because a Captain I flew with had his hand on the heading bug at least once a minute on his leg. On my leg he got irked that I didn't do the same. Should he have been irked? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

No.

Ask him to educate you, "Is it in the manual?" then let him do all the marrying. Don't ever touch it unless ATC assigns a heading.

The following is from an article I read recently titled:

Smart Avionics Do Stupid Things

We recommend "step down" disabling of automation wherever possible. For example, many (if not most) pilots immediatly disconnect the autopilot if it makes an unexpected turn... This action gives the pilot control but dramatically increases workload right when having an autopilot is most helpful. Instead, we recommend engaging the heading mode. Now the pilot has control to send the aircraft in any direction, but without nearly the increase in workload. To make this work, you should be continually syncing your heading bug as you fly. Automation still demands good habits.

Viva La Airbus!

The Airbus only activates the heading bug when you select (pull) heading. It keeps these kind of discussions from the flight deck.

Latest resources

Back