• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

717 landing lights question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would think "common sense" would include using every available means to help other aircraft and their crew to see you, especially at night. But what do I know about that "level."

But what do I know about that "level."

If you have never flown tired then probably nothing. Take your aviation idealistic world and go @#$%@$#@@#$%#@.

Do you think anyone on the majors board cares about a pilot forgetting a few lights? Go back to the board u came from. Between the dynamics of this industry and the lifestyle of a pilot trying to raise a family being tired or occupied and forgetting a few lights is the least of our concerns. And the concerns of the pax is saving an extra 10 bucks on their ticket, and that their glass was filled to the top by our FA. Airfares are four times cheaper than twenty years ago and they don't even know it.

It is not missed often enough to be a problem and less so when it really matters I bet. And some even have the history of why they might have left them off at their airline, so get over it.

But where was that accident at night when one airplane landed on another, so you are right. Was it San Fan or DC? blah blah blah

So these newbies show up to the real world and glare all their lights on shining down the runway when "cleared into position and hold" as it use to be called or "line up and wait" today scarring everyone from crossing the runway when cleared to by ATC cause they think with the other aircrafts lights on they are about to start their takeoff roll.

Enough with my rants and your grandstanding. We should all strive to be safer.

Why they designed the landing light to hang out and create drag nowadays is beyond me. Does not help when u lose an engine, so they added that if the airplane senses an engine failure the landing lights retract. U would thing they could have integrated them somewhere else streamlined into the design. To expensive to change I guess. I don't like them. Why have them working against u when you lose an engine during takeoff, but it is ok because they are suppose to retract. If the gear fails down during a V1 cut, hey it was our day, but because of a friggin couple of lights to bang it on the ground... GMAFB.

Last edited:
On an AA MD80 right now. Took off from DFW at night. On takeoff,

No ground flood lights used.
No wing/nacelle lights used.
No wing landing lights used.

The ONLY light used for takeoff was the nose light. After the gear came up, totally dark aircraft.

Why? and how do pilots forgot to turn on their lights?

>cause I dont want to see what i am about to hit>

Latest resources

Back