• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

707 Vs DC8

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whoever designed the Litton 72/92 series shoulda been shot!
At least our Litton 92's have databases (for the moment) and you can load the whole route into them. Some airports even have lists in the Jepps of the departure/arrival Litton 92 database names; you could plug those in if your wish. Beats loading 9 at a time.

At least you don't have to do celestial.

Last edited:
I spent just shy of 3000 hours as a DC-8 engineer. It truely is a remarkable machine but rather unrefined. I have never flown the 707 or DC-8 as a pilot, but the folks that have flown both, much prefer flying the boeing.I guess its smooth easy to fly plane, whereas the DC-8 is a big mack truck!

And flew like one ,too.:D

PHXFLYR:cool:

ex-ATI DC8 FO

My pop was flying the "rope-start" whale at NWA in the mid-nineties.... they got Litton 92's and he had to go to a two-day school! He came back, saying "Man, you can just type in a waypoint, and it knows where it is!"

I was on the RJ at the time, flying FMS with GPS updating. He was just happy he could load more than nine points at once.....

A couple of the Air Canada 63's ATI used to operate are still going strong in the middle east working for Heavy Lift. If I remember right, they were 1966-68 vintage.

No FMS on ours. We still use the good ole' INS. :D

Is there more than one INS, and are they updated in any way? Just curious if your 8's are MNPS capable with the INS. We had triple-mix Carousel IVs in the 74s I flew a few years back, and when most of the world went MNPS, we got Apollo GPS receivers to update the INS. We couldn't use the GPS for any sort of navigation, and in fact, the company screwed a cover plate over the data card slot so you couldn't get to any of the good info inside. All that capability and the only thing the GPS could do was update the INS to meet the nav accuracy requirements. Buy hey, at least the GNEs almost went to zero!:rolleyes:

A couple of the Air Canada 63's ATI used to operate are still going strong in the middle east working for Heavy Lift. If I remember right, they were 1966-68 vintage.

That's correct.They also had the fuel panel located forward of the throttle quadrant along with the TC's,similar in configuration to KC135's. Only thing on the Engineer's panel was the electrical and hydraulic systems.if I remember correctly.

That's correct.They also had the fuel panel located forward of the throttle quadrant along with the TC's,similar in configuration to KC135's. Only thing on the Engineer's panel was the electrical and hydraulic systems.if I remember correctly.

Fuel panel was still in the back, I dont think they could figure out where to put the shutoff and crossfeed handles. We only had one airplane set up in the 2 man configuration, I think it was 868BX.

It's a Douglas. Look at all the DC-8's, DC-9, DC-10's still flying. Douglas overbuilt everything, plus kept it simple. All cables. The inside of an 8 looks like a harp. Cables everywhere. The 707 or early 737 weren't built as tough. The early Boeing had skin problems. The DC-8's days are numbered now. They are getting very expensive to C check. Over a million dollar these days. One tough plane.

You left out DC-3's, a few -4's and -6's...

One of the worst things that ever happened was when McDonnell bought Douglas-the STL based owner just wanted to build stuff for the military while Douglas had both a strong military and commercial legacy. The SBD, AD, A-20, A-26, A3D, A4D...and yeah, some B-17's! If you get a chance to get up front in the CAF's "Sentimental Journey" there on the yoke is says "Douglas".
Guess Boeing got the last laugh though calling the last DC-9 variant a 717...

Some time after the Boeing purchase of McD I had to laugh at a poster in the terminal at Sea-Tac. It wasn't a nice laugh, it was a "YGBFSM" laugh. In fact I may have said that out loud! Alaska was celebrating their 50th year. Boeing had put up a poster about how proud they were of their long association with the airline-the oldest plane pictured was, yeah, you guessed it, a DC-3. I couldn't believe that the Lazy B was taking credit for the Gooney Bird!

I really hope that some other people noticed the error...still I would take a Boeing over an aireurotrashbus any day of the week!

Last edited:
Kind of like the Boeing MD-80 I flew on the other day (it actually said this on the ticket)

Humm... I Always thought the Excellent Sleeping Quarters, were the reason we kept them...

<<<<<<---------------

Latest resources

Back