• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

707 Vs DC8

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr. Patroni, she ain't going to take much more....

Well any way she is going to get it!

"That's the great thing about the 707 -- She can do everything but read."

All mechanics should smoke cigars.

lil jerry

reread my post....it says kc-135 e "mods"....never implied they were they sme airplane or that you can make one into the other

Heard from some engineers that Boeing (like Lockheed) had enough high-powered engineering talent to design a lighter, efficient wing that flexed enough in turbulence to give a nice soft ride, but the stresses were consequently above the "fatigue limit", and the wing would eventually get enough cracks here and there to doom the airplane.

Douglas engineering just built a "bridge" of a wing, with wing stresses below the fatigue limit, (and a "harder" ride in turbulence) and consequently the wing will not fatigue (ever), the airplane will be undone by old wiring harnesses or fuselage pressurization cycle fatigue, or politics, or something.

Both awesome flying machines!!!

No FMS on ours. We still use the good ole' INS.

Do you mean that your still using the Mighty 9 lat/long waypoint Delco/Litton Carousel IVA?

I would think that Big Brown would spend some money on that!

I was in the Tech Museum in Munich - They had a Carousel control head, main chassis and MSU panel on display. I was looking to see if it had a Serviceable Tag, I could have then purloined it for use in our aircraft!

Whoever designed the Litton 72/92 series shoulda been shot! Those things are the most user unfriendly #@$%&*()_ @#%$*&@$$*&@$$@^@$%^$&@)(.!!!!!!!!!!

Well, you get the idea.

I once heard a DC-8 captain refer to them as the Douglas Cable Company. One pretty tough bird.

Three American companies built heavy jets in the sixties.

The Boeing electric company

The Lockheed hydraulic company

The Douglas cable and accumulator company.

The outfit I worked for in the eighties sent a mechanic out to measure all the cables in the DC-8. That was 1987, and he ain't back yet.

Joe Patroni would disagree.

In the book he found a part that was defective by design and threatened the whole airline fleet.

He jumpseated to New York, burst into the airline CEO's office, pulled the oily part out of a sack and dropped it on the CEO's desk, saying something like "You're going to lose your company over this."

Maintenance--- look at any Boeing product versus Douglas start with DC3
Payload
Range

Are there any other issues than these that obsolete aircraft.

Latest resources

Back