• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

70-seat RJ's flying for CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hope they outsource all your flying. The mainline carriers haven't done really any true hiring in 10 years. First 9/11, then 65, enter ********************ty economy... So just because some of us have made this our careers because of the recent conditions so be it.. Bottom line, I make more than many mainline F/O's and have more days off and a better QOL.
And due to the piss poor pay scales and QOL issues many RJ drivers have decided to stay than sit RSV in MSP on the DC-9 for Delta. I am on the fence, but seeing your weak mainline drivers are giving up more flying to me, I just might stay after-all.. Enjoy the right seat, sounds like you may be there for awhile.

I hope they outsource all your flying. The mainline carriers haven't done really any true hiring in 10 years. First 9/11, then 65, enter ********************ty economy... So just because some of us have made this our careers because of the recent conditions so be it.. Bottom line, I make more than many mainline F/O's and have more days off and a better QOL.
And due to the piss poor pay scales and QOL issues many RJ drivers have decided to stay than sit RSV in MSP on the DC-9 for Delta. I am on the fence, but seeing your weak mainline drivers are giving up more flying to me, I just might stay after-all.. Enjoy the right seat, sounds like you may be there for awhile.

My right seat already pays better than your max captain pay and I'm just hitting year 6. My shi%ty contract will be paying me 135.00 an hour to fly the right seat in a few years without any contract changes. My b-fund contribution is 12.5% under my crappy contract. Tell me about your retirement. Tell me about your days off. Widebody pilots average around 17 days off here. 777 guys get at least 19 in IAH. You tell yourself what you need to keep that self esteem out of the gutter but don't start wishing ill will towards the very guys that want to make flying a 70 and up seat jet worth going to college for again.

That is fine with me, you do that and see how it works for you. I think a non-biased person with no personal interest in this topic would say there are more reasons than not that the regionals have very little growth potential left as a whole. Some may go away, some may pick up that flying, so I guess you have to hope that yours is one that doesn't go away. You can mouth off all you want about mainline and the bottom line is always the same - you are outsourced. You can come and you can go with the strike of a pen on a contract. Your airline doesn't know how to sell tickets, they don't know how to market seats, they don't know how to price tickets, they don't do 90% of the business that a mainline carrier does. They don't do anything but keep the plane fixed, fueled, and in the air. That is the bottom line - I wouldn't want to put my career in those hands. So enjoy things while they are good, because the barrier to enter the market for a regional is very low, so you will always be undercut by a group of pilots willing to do it for cheaper.

Are you and Joemerchant related? Not a single thing iaherj has said is untrue. Bottom at CAL is better than top of any POS regional.

Do not even put the CRJ or ERJ in the same sentence as the DC-9 no matter what version we are talking about.

Ummm....you just did.

Are you and Joemerchant related? Not a single thing iaherj has said is untrue. Bottom at CAL is better than top of any POS regional.

Thanks, it's not like I enjoy repeatedly having to state that my airline has the worst contract of the legacy carriers except maybe U.S. Airways(who had to file bankruptcy twice to get below us). It doesn't inflate my ego to have to state more than twice this week that as crappy as my work rules and pay are, I'll still easily earn more than the highest paid regional captain, and I'm a lowly first officer. I don't do it to try and thumb my nose at regional pilots. Look at my profile. I was one. I was also a LCC pilot so you won't see me puting down AirTran pilots either. I just have a hard time listening to regional pilots bitch on one hand about the lazy mainline pilots who allowed all this outsourcing a decade ago(when I was a regional pilot myself) then get upset with us on the other hand for vowing to take it back. We are now blowhards and cocky for wanting to take 70 seat flying back all of a sudden. What do you guys want? I think i know what you want but I'm not going to go that direction right now.

ha enjoy your justification for making a regional your final career stop. Yes, it's much better at a regional. yes, much better. Feel better ? Just remember you work for a contract airline, the contracts will expire, it's not your flying. Odds are you don't even have a reservation center, or marketing department. So don't cry when your contracts seize to exist.

I have many friends who have made a regional their final career stop. But they don't kid themselves. They understand the risk and have accepted the fact that the flying could one day go back where it came from MAINLINE.

Last edited:
i really doesnt metter that mainline pilots bla bla bla!!! or the regional pilot bla bla bla!!!

management holds the strapon with no lub, so lets keep getting it...
...back to my Scoth to ease the pain!!! cheers ouch.

CAL is now UAL's regional.

CAL is closing down its departments and merging them into UAL's. UAL's reservations, marketing, name, and identity is the survivor. UAL's structure is the one being preserved and CAL's destroyed. HQ was moved to Chicago not Houston.

CAL is just another contract flying for UAL. CAL is the worlds largest regional. And CAL already has a regional contract with an incompetent union.

Last edited:
I really hope we can start the process of bringing in the "big" RJ flying.

You need to take it all back. Including the T-props or it will not work and managment will have everyone right back to square one.

Latest resources

Back