61 of 73 new markets lose money for SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lowercur,

Yes, I think that at least one legacy carrier and one or more startup/lccs will cease existence in the next five years. It is pretty much a given. Most of the experts have alluded to it already. I don't remember saying anything about that? They really haven't changed their money losing ways, just dumped debt. Unfortunately, their debt and their pension plans was their reserve fuel. They have no reserve fuel when the next inevitable war breaks out. Once one biggie goes down, it will balance out the marketplace to the betterment of everyone else so at this point it is just a waiting game to see who falls. It could be anyone. As they say in healthcare, it isn't always the sickest patient who dies first. It could be debtor driven, it could be management driven, it could even be labor driven. Putnum pulled the plug on Braniff on a day when he had the stomach flu and didn't feel well. It just needs a catalyst which could be a war, accident, strike, failed merger, spike in interest rates, or even a combination. The only certainty is that it will happen.[/quote]Don't see any failures of existing legacy's or entrenched LCC's. I do see further consolidation as things get dicey around 2010. If that scenerio plays out, SWA will again be disappointed.

:pimp:​

Hey moderators can you rename this thread to "I bet my dad can beat up your dad!"?
Thanks

That's because it's selling rich.....$8 bucks is fair value.

You must have skipped the section on fair market valuation as well all of your accounting classes at Wharton. Pretty sure youre just making sh1t up.

Morningstar Rating 3Star
Business Risk Average
Fair Value Estimate $16.00
Economic Moat Narrow
Consider Buying $12.30
Consider Selling $20.00
Stewardship Grade A

I agree the stock has sucked for 5+ years. Thats bad particularly with the buy back. But thought Id help you out since your estimate was off by %100.

Last edited:
Amen brother! You read this post, and would think that everyone would be thrilled if SWA went under. Boy, that would be one final kick in the Jimmy in an industry where they hand those out(jimmy kicks) like candy. Wouldn't it benefit everyone if a company that pays people well, treats them even better succeeds? Wouldn't that put pressure on the other fart knockers to start paying well and treating people well? I guess you want the bastion of good pay/good treatment to go away so that there is no hope? Good thinkin'...[/quote

Exactly. It's good for OUR industry. An example for people like Dollar General lee who dont understand: I don't work for Airtran. I work for one of their competitors. Am I wishing for there demise? Am I posting negative stuff about them? No. I hoping that they flush that crap TA and push harder for the 30% raise that they deserve. WHY? Because it's good for OUR indusrty.
But back to the thread, Swa has been profitable for years operationally plus through other means. Who cares where the money comes from? It's a profit people.

In regards to Bav Chef's joke, I cannot for the life of me figure out your point. I swear pilots have no ability to grasp a simple joke whatsoever...along with the rest of America.

What's your point? In early 2001, guys were leaving SWA for United. All that tells me is that pilots go for the flavor of the month. I swear pilot's have no long term memory whatsoever.....along with the rest of America. :rolleyes:

You must have skipped the section on fair market valuation as well all of your accounting classes at Wharton. Pretty sure youre just making sh1t up.

Morningstar Rating 3Star
Business Risk Average
Fair Value Estimate $16.00
Economic Moat Narrow
Consider Buying $12.30
Consider Selling $20.00
Stewardship Grade A

I agree the stock has sucked for 5+ years. Thats bad particularly with the buy back. But thought Id help you out since your estimate was off by %100.
That's a fair value estimate, it is based off projected earnings for this year. To give a fair market value estimate if earnings reached the projected $800-900 million would give a price of $16.00. However, the past three years SW has missed targets by 50%, giving my fair value estimate at $8.

every new route for any airline will loose money for the first 2-5 years. it is closer to 5 if both cities are new, it is closer to 2 if they already flew to those cities.those prudential analyst, like any other analyst, are just looking at short term stock performance, not long term airline survibality . subsidizing the growth in the ears and midwest with texas and west coast revenue is a great idea, and in 4 years it will pay off big time. wait till they start putting tv's and assigned seating on longer routes and they start doing transcons.

also in the last 5 years alot of the competition has been in bankruptcy and not paying their bills and slashing employees numbers and costs.

However, the past three years SW has missed targets by 50%, giving my fair value estimate at $8.

Which doesn't mean squat since you have no clue what you are talking about.

Why do you continue to post about things which you are so clueless about? It really boggles the mind.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back