• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

50 thousand first year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am also regional "flotsam" enjoying the superior QOL (and dining, even with the limitations of the crew meal system- sure beats running to Asian Chao or BK in 20 minute turns) at NetJets for for over a year now. It is far, far from perfect but much, much better than life ever was for me at the regionals.

As far as 7 days on goes, for me it "feels" about the same as an airline 5-day, which is to say it feels long and never-ending, but not nearly as long as if I had a "7-day trip" at an airline. I used to be a commuter and had things like back to back 3-days which seemed longer than a NJ 7day tour.

The more relaxed and measured pace compared to the constant hub-and-spoke quick turns, plus the mystery and variety of not knowing what is in store from day to day, for me anyhow, is what has this moderating effect. And by and large things have a way of evening out between busy multi-leg days, hotel sits, and "assuming the position" in an FBO lounge chair during some long turns. (Those lounges by and large are a lot more comfy than sitting in a departure lounge at ops for 4 hour 50 minute no-hotel-room turns at LGA or whatever with the regionals.)

As to the domicile system for new hires- silly, and hopefully one day it will go away. For now it is a big con, obviously.

In a nutshell, for me-- plenty of pros, some cons, but the pros outweigh the cons by a good margin.

Being gone for 7 days does get kinda long, but being home for 7 is equally long. Right now I am on my first 7 day vacation.....well its really a 21 days off. I have been home since Jan 16th and go back after the Superbowl.

Compare that to a Mesa reserve schedule . . 6 on/ 2 off. I think the extra 1 day on would be more than a fair trade to get and extra FIVE days off.

But the loss of the 21 (I think) gateway cities and reduction to just 3 is what has kept me from making the plunge.

How early is the show time on the first day? I would have a 5 hour drive to the nearest base at Netjets.

I have a little under a 3-hour drive, so I understand your concern. The showtime is whatever they need to make it -- you'll have it by 6pm the day before, and it won't be moved to any earlier time once you have it, so you can decide when you need to leave. If you have a 6 AM airline out, it'll probably be a 4:30 AM show. In a case like that, I'd go the evening before and stay in a hotel, probably for free thanks to the many hotel points you'll acquire.

My last show was an 8:30 AM show for an airline out, so I just left the house at 5:30 or so, and had plenty of time. Early, but not ridiculously early. With a 5-hour drive, I'd imagine you'll probably be staying the night before more often than I.

Note that our contract has a provision for overtime pay for any duty time before 8 AM on your first day. (And further, if you do show before 8 AM, you earn overtime if you're on duty more than 9 hours.) It doesn't really stop them from doing early shows, but that'll help offset any hotel costs you might incur coming the day before.

You can live anywhere you want. It's just your responsibility to get to your domicile for your scheduled show time. You find out your show time the night before.

Yep, as he said, you can live wherever you want. There's no limitation that you have to live within a certain distance or drive time from your base (like I believe CitationShares requires); you just have to show up at your assigned time, which will show up on your Blackberry by 6pm the night before. It won't change to any earlier; no 2am phone calls or anything of the sort.

Latest resources

Back