4 refineries out of commission for weeks to months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JimNtexas said:
Too late. I grew up in parts of Texas where, in fact, we have oil wells mixed in with our houses. Its not that big a deal.

Thats because your an idiot I don't want oil wells in my beautiful Alaska where they aren't already. Just so some Fat TX loser can get himself to his NASCAR race.

Ps jimntexas I was in the military also 8 years and people generally speaking are close-minded and very ignorant. I am not one of those lefty that you described however I am a realist.

Jimdandy said:
That's because you're an idiot I don't want oil wells in my beautiful Alaska where they aren't already.
Report back to us when you've actually been to ANWR.

:rolleyes:

Keith, what do you have against a 350? :)

I don't know where you get that ANWR oil would only last for 6 months. The estimates that I have read say 15+ years. Not to mention the wells off the CA coast that have been shut down for enviromental concerns (tree huggers). Yes we need to investigate new forms of power for our cars, but to think that we can immediately switch from gas to anything else is crazy. We need to use what oil we have available to us, and for things that we have the current technology to stop using oil to power (ie electrical plants) we need to use that technology (nuke).

DonVerita said:
If being a Democrat and a Liberal means protecting our nation, our air, water, food supply, civil rights, human rights, environment and fellow neighbors from harm in any form including that from our own government, and never being afraid to question those in power...then I am proud to be one.

No, it means whining about everything, yet providing no coherent solutions to problems that others have been tasked to solve. Lets see. They are against building new refineries. Drilling new wells. Building new nuke plants. Building wind farms. Hydroelectric power. But they bitch like crazy when the power companies are making money selling something that is in very high demand, instead of trying to fix the problem by increasing supply.

atrdriver said:
No, it means whining about everything, yet providing no coherent solutions to problems that others have been tasked to solve. Lets see. They are against building new refineries. Drilling new wells. Building new nuke plants. Building wind farms. Hydroelectric power. But they bitch like crazy when the power companies are making money selling something that is in very high demand, instead of trying to fix the problem by increasing supply.
I'm going to invent a "liberal fired" electrical plant. Then when we begin to run out of power, the 51% of us with our heads screwed on straight can grind up the idiots and use them for power. (Oh yeah, we can also throw in all of the animials up in ANWR. . .)
The whole "Two birds with one meat grinder" theory. . .
TonyC, I have to save some toys for widebody Captain!!. . .

Last edited:
Jimdandy said:
Thats because your an idiot I don't want oil wells in my beautiful Alaska where they aren't already.

You need to grow up. Calling someone and idiot is for the playground, not for adult discussions. It just shows you are running on pure emotion and not logic.

414Flyer said:
Its common sense. Look at all the acreage that is completely destroyed when a mall goes up and its associated parking. A couple decent sized shopping malls are probably as much acreage as what is projected to be affected in ANWR. Unfortunately there are malls going up all the time.

I dont think Sierra Club is against sprawl in each instance. They are against it in general terms, but they are not going to picket and raise hell about new subdivisions and shopping areas like they are over ANWR, when ANWR affects far far far less people if any.

Drilling rigs on a suburban block is more nonsense and a diversion from the real issues since I have not heard of any suburban developments in ANWR, or anywhere else lately projected to have a rig next to a house. But guess what? The drilling rig is not permanent. its there for a couple of weeks to a couple of months. After that, its is a small wellhead. I would much rather live next to a wellhead than a mall.

I do recognize that since I drive a car, and fly aircraft, but of which rely on fossil fuels, it would be hypocritical for me to be against all petroleum exploration like some are.

As for record profits, well they are dealing with a commodity that has hit record highs, so it only goes to follow. Bush has no power to raise worldwide oil prices, thats illogical, especially in light of how little of the world supply the US produces now. DEMAND is driving the prices upwards. DEMAND from us, China and India. Should bush go to the UN and demand sanctions against India and China for wanting cars? Thats why its record prices.

What if United and Delta had record profits? What if Boeing did? Would you be whining about that too?

Why is it the ones complaining the most about the prices, are usually the one most against also increasing the domestic supply?

Personally I dont care for Hannity that much, he is too partisan and less ideological, and he sometimes seems to badger someone instead of letting them speak. I am not sure what Hannity has to do with this debate, unless its some kind of side topic to divert from the subject at hand.

You're anolgies are laughable on their face--

1. Per your wisdom a "couple of decent sized shopping malls" are the projected drilling acerage that will affect ANWAR. And where did you come up with this one? The Sean Hannity neo-conservative think tank. Guess again pal. You are way off!

2. And what about all of the infrastructure needed to support that well...such as access roads through pristine wilderness. Or how about the inevitable spills?

3. Bush could send a shockwave through the oil cartels if he announced a massive plan to develop other forms of non-fossil fuels. But since he and lapdog Cheney are bought and paid for by Big Oil and King Coal, this is not going to happen.

4. Why do you spew such a moronic question regarding Boeing, UAL, or Delta? Those are airlines and aircraft builders, not oil conglomerates. Apples and oranges there pisano.

5. Finally...some agreement. Hannity is a "I've got mine screw everyone else" jerkoff. His inhumanity during some of the Katrina coverage was inexcusable. I was happy to see that there are still some vestiges of human dignity left at Fox News in the form of one reporter....Shepard Smith.

Geronimo4497 said:
But no, save the bloody rain forrest and invent the internet. HA.

This would be the same rainforest that greatly contributes to the renewal of our Earth's oxygen supply, right?

JimNtexas said:
I want to go back to this question of "drilling rigs on a suburban block".

That's really not uncommon here in Texas. You see it all the time and its not that big a deal.

That's why the left's opposition to Anwar seems so crazy to me. That place is so big that there will be miles and miles between each facility. They are not even going to build roads between a lot of the facilities, they are going to use helicopters.

Go to Lulling Texas where there are oil wells on school playgrounds, and then come back and tell me about the "devastation" that oil drilling actually causes.

Your rambling is bordering on the naucious. How much stock do you own in Exxon, Chevron, or any of the other Big Oil conglomerates?

We're not talking about an old time small rig surrounded by a fence. We are talking about huge rigs that require roads and heavy trucks belching out fumes and noise 24/7. So how about we do that in your backyard, make you breath that stench, pollute your water supply, and drive you to insanity from all the noise.

I want to make it clear that everyone understands our need for oil exploration will continue into the near future. But let's have an Exit Strategy to ween ourselves away from oil altogether. Bush has no plan nor does he want one.

klhoard said:
Thank you very much sir!! More gas for me. . . I'm going out to buy an F-250 tomorrow. . . .

And it is comments like this that clearly demonstrate to everyone on this board what a tool you are.

I hear Hummers are at rock bottom prices now. Why don't you go and buy one of those. Get a shiney black one so I can get a nice can of white spray paint and tag it with the words, "GLUTTONY" on the side so all of your neighbors will see what a candy a$$ you truely are.

Latest resources

Back