4 refineries out of commission for weeks to months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jimdandy said:
we will never run out of oil......however over the years the price will go up and up until it just isn't economically viable to use it. That will happen about 2025 to 2040 and to some extent right now.

So why not get ready now?

Answer: because Americans are in denial and mostly idiots I mean they voted for George W.

Just think if everyone got rid of their impractical SUVs and bought vehicles that got 35-40 mpg the airlines would be in great shape and oil would be about 38 dollars a barrel max.
Until 2040 or 2050 then we'll be out of oil again. Going to smaller size cars will only put off the day we run out of oil, not prevent it.
Personally, I'd rather use it all up for me. Right now. I'm going shopping for a larger pickup truck today. . . . See ya in the gas line. . .

I'm old enough to remember when the Alaska pipeline was built. We heard the same BS about the devastation it was going to cause, none of which came to pass. The same thing will happen with Anwar. Putting oil production facilities on 1% of a vast wilderness will have no effect on the local animals or vegetables. People will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

The left is opposed to all infrastructure and practical energy production facilities. They'd let all of Louisiana drown rather than risk the life of a snail darter.

klhoard said:
Until 2040 or 2050 then we'll be out of oil again. Going to smaller size cars will only put off the day we run out of oil, not prevent it.
Personally, I'd rather use it all up for me. Right now. I'm going shopping for a larger pickup truck today. . . . See ya in the gas line. . .

As the fellows on "Reno - 911" put it:
"The way to hurt those arabs is to use up all their oil by driving SUV's"

414Flyer said:
ANWR will provide additional oil for more than 6 months, to say that is intellectual dishonesty. Probably will go for 20-30 years, just as north slope, prudhoe bay have.

Speaking of... Did the north slope and Prudhoe become an ecological nightmare? Did the Alaskan Pipeline become an ecological nightmare?

No, both were opposed were those reasons, and both ended up just fine. Would you support those being closed up?

Jims post was spot on. And yes the left is against energy exploration and production. They are against oil, against nuclear, against wind, against coal, against hydroelectric, etc. What exactly are they for?

Here is a question I have not yet ever gotten an answer to. I am not looking for politics or emotion. Just a plain cut and dry answer.

If ANWR is not enough oil to drill, then what is the minimum possible amount of recoverable oil that could be extracted, in order to drill someplace then?

1. 6 month supply at our current consumption rate pal.

2. BP Amoco, the major oil company at Prudhoe, has had some challenges. On Sept. 23, 1999, the company pleaded guilty to a federal felony connected to illegal dumping of hazardous waste at their Endicott Oil Field near Prudhoe Bay. As part of a plea agreement BP Amoco agreed to pay $22 million in criminal and civil penalties. The U.S Public Interest Research Group says between January 1997 and March 1998 BP was responsible for 104 oil spills in Prudhoe Bay.

3. So the Left is opposed to Wind now? What part of your a$$ did you pull that from? Wind is the most ecologicially friendly source there is. For you to throw such a nonsense statement out there shows your ignorance and blind obedience to the right wing spin machine. I ask again...to anyone...What will happen when there is no more oil left in the ground? What is your plan? The sooner we go full scale development of multiple alternative energies, the sooner we can flip OPEC the bird and start cleaning up our environment, atmosphere, and water. Do you have a problem with that?

4. How much does it take to make oil drilling profitable? Simple answer: I don't know because I'm not in the industry but I see the results of unmitigated pollution, limited supply, and one environmental disaster after another. Remember the Exxon Valdez?

Record oil profits are what we've seen for years. How about Big Oil slash it's profits by 20% for the next 12 months to bring the cost of gas down for everyone of us while these refineries get back online. They'll still make a mint.

Up here in Masshole2shats, there is a proposal to put up a wind farm in Nantucket sound. The leftist wackos ARE opposed to it up here, because the blades might kill some birds. Let us not forget the fact that the ultrarich, also mostly Liberal, people that live and have vacation houses on the islands don't want to look at it. If my memory serves, I do believe that someone who recently ran for president has a house down on the 'beautiful people" island. The good ol' left looking out for their common man. What a load of crap.

We can not possibly pump out the ANWR oil in six months. While I understand the extrapolation you are doing, its utter meaningless. Its a continous additional supply for 20+ years.

So if a single oil area cant not give us all of our oil for years and years, then we should not drill anywhere at all by that logic. We would have zero US oil production with that mindset

Yes, there are people opposing wind on the left now, because it might kill birds. Even that paragon of environmentalism RFK, Jr, is against wind where he lives because it might change the view. There are environmentalists opposing wind projects now or causing additional reviews to be done.

Sounds like you are quite against petroleum production. Do you think jet fuel magically appears in your plane or gasoline in your car?

So because of the Exxon Valdez, we should just end petroleum drilling and exploration then? Guess what? Lets just end aviation too while we are at it. I heard there have been some plane crashes involving airliners.

Yeah, companies that product oil will make record profits when it is high. THats just basic economics. Its because of our demand for it, that oil and gas our are high. If you dont like it, dont buy it. We are even more beholden than ever to middle eastern and venezuelan oil then before. The easier way to lower those record prices you hate, it to increase supply. There have been years when companies that produce oil have lots their shirts too, or not made much money when prices were crashing.

No one seems to gripe when Microsoft makes record profits, or wall mart, or if Boeing does, or when United did pre 9/11.

Far more environmental devastation is caused by new shopping centers than oil drilling does. But people are comfortable with new malls and places to practice endless materialism. I wonder how many acres of land were lots to malls in the past decade. No peeps from the environmental left about that.

Last edited:
DonVerita said:
3. So the Left is opposed to Wind now? What part of your a$$ did you pull that from? Wind is the most ecologicially friendly source there is.

Don't those wind turbines kill massive amounts of those precious birds you all love so much?

"I don't own an SUV. . . my family does" - Senator John Kerry
Quoted from the idiot himself during a pre-election interview when asked what vehicle he drove to the interview in. . . .
At least the Right is truthful about natural resources. Lets use 'em up!!!

Geronimo4497 said:
Up here in Masshole2shats, there is a proposal to put up a wind farm in Nantucket sound. The leftist wackos ARE opposed to it up here, because the blades might kill some birds. Let us not forget the fact that the ultrarich, also mostly Liberal, people that live and have vacation houses on the islands don't want to look at it. If my memory serves, I do believe that someone who recently ran for president has a house down on the 'beautiful people" island. The good ol' left looking out for their common man. What a load of crap.

So you find one fringe group and determine all by yourself that they speak for the entire body? Grow up.

414Flyer said:
Far more environmental devastation is caused by new shopping centers than oil drilling does. I wonder how many acres of land were lots to malls in the past decade. No peeps from the environmental left about that.

And you get this spoonfed data from where?

The largest environmental group in the country, The Sierra Club, fights sprawl at every turn.

How about we set up a few oil rigs on your suburban block. Then we'll see where you stand on this issue.

As for gas price gouging at the pumps...
Had you bothered to watch real news instead of the usual dribble from Sean Hannity at Fox, you would have seen congressional BIPARTISAN outrage at these prices AND at the RECORD profits of Big Oil and King Coal, both of whom invested heavily in this puppet of a President whom people are finally starting to take for the corporate lapdog he is.

As for my car...it's an ULEV. That's Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle for you anti-environmentalists out there. Next car will be a hybrid. And to everyone who drives a Hummer, Excursion or the like...you reap what you sow...fools.

Latest resources

Back