• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

propsarebest

Anyone else here fork for a supp. carrier?? Do you have the 3585 exemption?

We petitioned or POI last year to use the exemption- last week the answer came back... NO!

His reasoning was that the exemption specifically mentions domestic and flag operations, not supplemental carriers.

over this last winter, we would have prevented over 2 dozen diversions due to WX and untold thousands spent on custom forecasts...

The reason I'm asking is that Exemption 3585 clearly states that it can only be used in Domestic SCHEDULED operations. I work for a 121 Supp carrier and we have the authorization, because we had domestic scheduled service (cargo) many years ago, but haven't used it in years. However, we got slapped several years ago (when I first started), when one of the dispatchers here tried to dispatch a flight in Europe using the Exemption.

His reasoning was that the exemption specifically mentions domestic and flag operations, not supplemental carriers.

over this last winter, we would have prevented over 2 dozen diversions due to WX and untold thousands spent on custom forecasts...

And thats just a cost of doing bidness as a supplemental. Your POI is correct, it is ONLY for domestic scheduled operations.

By letter dated January 28, 2009, you petitioned the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on behalf of Air Transport Association of America, Inc. (ATA), for an extension of Exemption No. 3585, as amended. That exemption from § 121.613, 121.619(a), and 121.625 of Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations allows ATA-member airlines and other similarly situated part 121 operators to continue to dispatch airplanes under instrument flight rules when conditional language in a one-time increment of the weather forecast states that the weather at the destination, alternate airport, or both airports could be below the authorized weather minimums when other time increments of the weather forecast state the weather conditions will be at or above the authorized weather minimums.
blah blah blah...

The cited regulations, specifically 121.619-a, are specifically for domestic ops.

And thats just a cost of doing bidness as a supplemental. Your POI is correct, it is ONLY for domestic scheduled operations.

blah blah blah...

The cited regulations, specifically 121.619-a, are specifically for domestic ops.

That's what I figured... Since we don't even have a copy of 3585 to look at, I figured that it was domestic only. We mostly fly international, for the US military to places that may or may not exist. Sometimes our alternates are 3 hours away.

We mostly fly international, for the US military to places that may or may not exist. Sometimes our alternates are 3 hours away.

Sounds very familiar, but we also have Domestic and Flag OpSpecs authority, so if we're doing a subservice for JoeShmoeAirlines (or do our own, I spose that could happen), we can operate those flights under 121 domestic or flag, as appropriate...

We have an op-spec exemption that allows us to fly all domestic supplemental ops under the rules for domestic scheduled operations which allows us to apply the 3585 rule. The only instance we can not use it domestically is when we operate military transport missions.

But as stated above, this is because we do operate half our flights as scheduled so I assume that is why we were granted the exemptions.

Latest resources

Back