• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FedExFlyer

You smell something??
32 New-hires @ FDX today

Just saw on VIPS they started 32 newbies today! Holy-crap.....do we have the staff for that? Is there another class like that in March too??

Last edited:
I was suprised by that also. I wonder if there's going to be 32 in the next class on Feb 28th. NightFlyer

I hope that was matched by 32 retirements!!!

I remember hearing a rumour recently that FedEx was going to start hiring 54 or so per month. Everyone was saying then that it would be impossible to train that many at a time. Well, maybe it's not impossible after all.

Back when the Postal contract hiring began 2000-2001 they were doing 50 a month. A friend of mine was hired into the back of the 10 and did indoc and then was told to come back in 2 1/2 months for his training.

I know a couple of folks on todays class that had originally been hired to the 28 feb class...lo and behold they were on todays class--we seem to be moving right along!!...

From my CP a few days ago....

48 for Feb
78 for March

They wanted 118 or some big number close to that for March, but just couldn't do it. Fred is fired up because now we are behind the curve. JL always asked for more people, but the bean counters had always said no. Now we are trying to catch up.

The list for the back of the 727 only has 130 people on it at the end of this training cycle. They need to hire and train at least 370 more people this year to get that number back up to the normal 500 or so in the seat. That is going to take some massive hiring. Hard to believe the company would put itself in this position. Wonder if it was the same bean counters who decided that we didn't need to make the 72s RSVM compliant? Makes you shake your head that is for sure.

Congrats to the latest 32!

FJ

Last edited:
Numbers that were briefed at a meeting last week:

78 new hires for Mar - 62 will go to the back of the Boeing
16 will go to the back of the DC-10 or right seat of Boeing

30 each month thereafter. However, everyone thinks the 30 number for upcoming months will increase but they just haven't officially changed them yet.

Good luck to all.

T38 Dude

I too scoff the bean counters--sometimes it doesn't seem like they know how to run an airline.

Then I look at the stock price--its doubled plus some in the 3 years I've been here. I don't like the short term thrash either--but we've managed to "absolutely positively" get it done...and the company has made a mint. Perhaps our "optimumly run airline" isn't the optimum for the company or the shareholders.

That aside...I hope the hiring continues unabated. Everyone likes the seniority and if you are stuck right now on R days you know you'll be abused. I miss the "good old days" of being able to drop a trip now and then....and that doesn't happen as a B-727 FO right now!

Latest resources

Back