2D cell flashlight equivalent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

idleclamp

I did a search on this subject, but didn't come up with anything, even though I'm sure it's been discussed.

Has anybody found in writing what is 'equivalent' to a 2D cell flashlight? Not what you've heard or what you think, but something in writing that a person could show the FAA and and say "my flashlight is compliant".

Thanks.

Our POI has decided that we can't carry anything except a 2 D-cell flashlight since he can't seem to figure out what is equivalent either.

Good luck.

Our POI has decided that we can't carry anything except a 2 D-cell flashlight since he can't seem to figure out what is equivalent either.

Good luck.

Hmm, maybe a quick peek at the business end of a Surefire 6P would help him figure it out. It puts out 80 lumens, more than twice what's claimed for a 2 D cell Maglite. That information is readily available-sounds like a fed that just likes being a tool.

Any flashlight that vibrates or doubles as a stun gun should be acceptable.

I haven't seen it in writing but during OE in the bus, the captain told me it had to be powerful enough to illuminate the wing tips. I don't know if their theory is to see the longest distance from any vantage point, but it wouldn't make since if you are flying an MD-80 cuz I don't think you can see the wing tips from the flightdeck.

I believe the 2D requirement is not for illumination power, but for lasting power. The D cells provide enough juice to last 30 minutes in the event of an electrical out at night. Not sure how long "equivalents" stay powered.

I believe the 2D requirement is not for illumination power, but for lasting power. The D cells provide enough juice to last 30 minutes in the event of an electrical out at night. Not sure how long "equivalents" stay powered.

The Surefire is good for 11 hours at full rated brightness. Definitely enough juice to weld Barney Fed's eyes permanently closed.

Just tell your fed that you have it on good authority (me, FI.com) that 2-D equivelancy is based solely on weight. Hence, I have my flashlight stuffed with bologna. There's a damned flashlight on the flightdeck if I need one in an emergency, but there's no emergency food, for Pete's sake. A man's got to have his priorities.

Latest resources

Back