Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USAFftrplt said:
crewdog,
You are right..also during the 80s PeopleXpress had a 26 year old female capt I remember reading
a FEMALE CAPTAIN!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!??

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
not quite the same thing as an airbus but sometimes you get lucky... i was a Captain on a Saab at 24 and got on with a large major at 28. i remember on one of my first trips as a CA on the Saab my FO was 22 and my FA was 19... if the people knew they would have gotten off LOL.

USAFftrplt said:
I dont see the big deal about it...have plenty of friends in the AF that are flying C-17s C-5s etc that are 24,25 years old. Have another friend that flies Block 52 Vipers for the SC ANG and he is only 21 right now (was 19 going starting UPT)!

crewdog,
You are right..also during the 80s PeopleXpress had a 26 year old female capt I remember reading

No question about it, if you want some serious flying and responsibility early in life, the military is the place to try your hand. Nothing against anyone with civilian time only. it just comes quicker in the service of your country. I have a friend that was flying F8s in Vietnam at the age of 21, later started at Pan Am at 26, flying Capt. on the B747 at 37, when flying for Pan Am was the best thing going.

Last edited:
landlover said:
I think this guy PFt'd. Read article, "self sponsered"= PFT as it was explained to me by a Norweigen that went to Oxford.

uhmmm... no. It's not PFT.

In europe, usually your employer pays your training from 0 time to whatever. Lufthansa does it and most other airlines too.

If, however, airlines don't pay for it, you gotta pay for it yourself. Thats what selfsponsering is.

Self-sponsered means that he paid his own training and didn't get help from some company. Thats PPL, CPL, IR, MER, etc.... Thats what *we* do here in the states.

Quite a stretch comparing that to PFT.

I've understood that many European and Asian carriers hire you at zero time and train you through commercial (or equivelant) and immediately start trainng you on their larger equipment. This guy probably only had a few hundred hours when he started as a Boeing FO. Their training is strictly regimented, similar to a military program (note his training provider is sponsored by the RAF) so I have no doubt he was well trained.

Wow! I thought you had to have a 4 year degree before being able to fly in the military which would put you at a minimum at age 21 or 22. I assume they went to the USAF Academy? Or have things changed?

Some people enter college early and finish their bachelors early... not all that uncommon among home-schooled types.

We had a 737 Captain at AWA that was 24 years old. He did not do PFT. He is now a Fleet Manager on the A320 - at least last I heard. Of course, he is not 24 anymore - that was about 18 years ago.

Flightjock30 said:
Wow! I thought you had to have a 4 year degree before being able to fly in the military which would put you at a minimum at age 21 or 22. I assume they went to the USAF Academy? Or have things changed?

you are right..we do. HOwever my friend went to a flight school college and already had ratings that saved him 2 years..thus graduating with a 4 year degree early. He was the youngest USAF pilot to go through UPT. Couldnt even drink with his buds there haha!

I was a Captain on a westwind at 21, chief pilot in a falcon 20/ g3 at 24, and thankfully hired by SWA at 28. None of it had to do with age, but just started a lot earlier and by the time High school was finished was flying an mu-2 pt 135 single pilot at 18. Pure luck and right place right time. i originally interviewed but turned down at swa at the age of 23, if i was hired would have been acpt at 28

Latest resources

Back