25 year old A320 captain!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Peter Gibbons

32 posts and no one has mentioned that his name is Peter Gibbons? "Hey Peter man, check it out! Breast exam on channel nine!"

"It's not that I'm lazy Bob, it's than I just don't care."

Dash Trash said:
not my list dude, I just googled it!

They are all females.

I was adding to the last response when the website went TU. There were a number of guys hired in the 1963/64 time frame that were only twenty when they started at TWA or CAL. They could not get the FE ticket until they were 21 so they either satrted as Viscount F/O's at CAL or S/O's at TWA. In those days, ALPA demanded 3 pilots on all jets, so the crew would consist of Capt., F/O, FE and the S/O who was the 3rd pilot. A number of these early hires were upgrading to Capt. on the B707/CV880 when they were 23 or 24 years old. A few also washed out in that they just did not have the experience. The hours maybe, but not the experience. There was also a L188 Capt. at Western Airlines. He just retired a couple of years ago from DAL.

Civilian world and military world are two different animals. Like an earlier poster said in the military you get the crap kicked out of you and about half wash out. It really is survival of the fittest especially in what type of assignment you get. Age is no factor as long as you meet the minimum and don't exceed the maximum. Can you compare a 23 year old F-15 pilot flying combat to a 23 year old airbus captain, I really don't know. Apples and oranges. The one thing I do know (at least in my opinion) is that age has never been a factor of competence. Some are ready early and some are not or will never be.

"self-sponsored vs. PFT"

mattpilot said:
uhmmm... no. It's not PFT.

In europe, usually your employer pays your training from 0 time to whatever. Lufthansa does it and most other airlines too.

If, however, airlines don't pay for it, you gotta pay for it yourself. Thats what selfsponsering is.

Self-sponsered means that he paid his own training and didn't get help from some company. Thats PPL, CPL, IR, MER, etc.... Thats what *we* do here in the states.

Quite a stretch comparing that to PFT.

Actually, if you read a little further down on the link, it says that the RAF payed for the training at Oxford.

Actually, if you read a little further down on the link, it says that the RAF payed for the training at Oxford.

If the RAF are involved, you can bet that he has gone through some pretty tough aptitude, attitude and medical examinations. In otherwords the RAF found this applicant to be qualified to receive this training, an asset to the RAF or Country then paid for it.

PFT has nothing to do with aptitude, attitude or medical condition. It has only to do with how much money you can beg, borrow or steal, to get into a job that should be held by someone more qualified & experienced.

Damn good for him/her? Kinda sucks when people judge others because of their age. Right place right time, and obviously knows their stuff.

That 'lil whippersnapper better not show his face in the Eagle pilot lounge! You're 'lucky' to be 25 and off reserve as a bottom feeding FO there.

Last edited:
Young capt

I flew with a guy who was 25 and a capt for 2 yrs here. Very fun guy and fairly knowledgeable. I learned a lot from him. He'd flown DC-3's, piston & turbine Convairs, and the old Fokker for several years before I got here. While it was weird having more life experience than him, he knew his caca and was a good capt. I still had to guide him through third world whorehouses and such.

Latest resources

Back