• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2011 safest yet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really. You really believe that? From experience, I say, unless the gummers are on an 8 am- 4pm schedule the FO is going to have to be alert. The endorsement should be on having strong FOs to compensate when things get tough or different for the gummers. Gummers have the experience but their cognitive functions just aren't there. Face the facts. Just look on the streets where you can see gummers driving. It's frustrating for everyone else and unsafe at times. You are an old timer. Do you really think you drive as well as you did in your thirtys and forties? Probably better than in your twenties...they drive like crap....but in an airplane they are supervised by a competent captain.
But the fact is, and you may not notice, you don't drive as well. Your cognitive functions are deteriorating. On the flight deck, you may not even notice, but the FO is most likely covering your mistakes and deteriorating cognitive abilities . Oh, and loss of hearing. So , ask yourself, is it proper to pass the risk, when things get tough, to the passengers? Your performance might be fine when things are routine because the FO can mitigate your increasing errors but he cannot when things get tough. Is that what you want for your granddaughter?
so, but this is OK if the guy is less than age 60? BTW Have you flown with me?

Is degenerating cognitive function OK if the guy is less than 60? Probably not, but the process is known to accelerate with age so unless there is some kind of test for it, then probably we should have an age in mind where we put the older guys out to pasture. It is 65 right now for that very reason. Why do you think the other pilot has to be under 60 on the longer routes? Probably because they don't want too much risk from keeping the older pilots up front till age 65.

No I have not flown with you. I think we would have a good time though.

You said the NTSB supported your assertion, not a couple of AP reporters-
Does Freed work for the NTSB?
Reading that gem of journalistic insider knowledge, do you see the logical fallacies?
I won't argue out of both sides of my mouth- outsourcing is bad bc of the lack of experience, and most airlines were making the opposite argument. I love experience, I also would like ability. You know the saying- "if youth only knew, if old age only could"
No one can fly forever- this is about figuring out how to deal with aging - the rule is 65- this thread is about having no age limit. At some point diminishing ability will overcome experience.

So answer the question: at what age would a captain be before you wouldn't feel comfortable?
90?
80?
70?

Ask your family and friends-
I just did- for fun- they all said 60-something. Not one above 70 and I asked a dozen non flyers between 27-67years old. None knew anything about age 65 controversies or my opinions- I tried to be objective. Ultimately, public perception will decide the age.

— An experienced workforce. Air traffic controllers, pilots and maintenance crews — particularly in North America and Europe — have been on the job for decades. Their experience is crucial when split-second decisions are made and for instilling a culture of safety in younger employees. Former US Airways Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger — who spent three decades as an airline pilot — was praised for his skill after safely ditching a plane in the Hudson River in 2009. Both engines died because of a bird strike but all 155 passengers and crew survived.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2103446,00.html

check it out

You can't judge general ability by how you perceive a group of people are at driving. If that were the case, we'd have no Asian, Latino, women, nor anyone who drives a minivan or pre-80s pick-up, wears a stupid looking hat nor ESPECIALLY, anyone with Florida, Minnesota or Illinois plates.

When you mandate another test, be prepared for someone else to determine YOUR cognitive ability. It may not be what you think.

You can't judge general ability by how you perceive a group of people are at driving. If that were the case, we'd have no Asian, Latino, women, nor anyone who drives a minivan or pre-80s pick-up, wears a stupid looking hat nor ESPECIALLY, anyone with Florida, Minnesota or Illinois plates.

When you mandate another test, be prepared for someone else to determine YOUR cognitive ability. It may not be what you think.

I have noticed there aren't a lot of Asian or Mexican plots here in the US. It's your stand that their driving might be the reason?

Latest resources

Back