• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2011 safest yet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not necessarily. Just because you don't crash does not mean the flight was safe. There are a lot more very senior FOs due to stagnation. That means far less back-packers and a lot more mitigation of the threats from gummers.

The NTSB said that retention of experience in the cockpit is a key to the safety record. Sounds like an endorsement of age 65, can age 70 be far behind?

"Another major safety threat stems from pilots who become confused by cockpit computers or who rely on automation too much."

I'll bite- where's your NTSB source yip?

"Another major safety threat stems from pilots who become confused by cockpit computers or who rely on automation too much."

Wave, I'll bite, the point about becoming confused could be aimed at the old farts (although once you get the automation figured out it's great) but the "rely on automation" is a problem with the younger pilots.............

Yeah, I'm sure those 20-something 1900 drivers can't hand fly at all
:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure those 20-something 1900 drivers can't hand fly at all
:rolleyes:

Good point, too bad the whole industry isn't required to get at least a year of regional type flying with no autopilot! The 1900 is like the Beech 99 I use to fly with no auto pilot right? Even if not that type of flying does build good stick and rudder skills.

The NTSB said that retention of experience in the cockpit is a key to the safety record. Sounds like an endorsement of age 65, can age 70 be far behind?

Really. You really believe that? From experience, I say, unless the gummers are on an 8 am- 4pm schedule the FO is going to have to be alert. The endorsement should be on having strong FOs to compensate when things get tough or different for the gummers. Gummers have the experience but their cognitive functions just aren't there. Face the facts. Just look on the streets where you can see gummers driving. It's frustrating for everyone else and unsafe at times. You are an old timer. Do you really think you drive as well as you did in your thirtys and forties? Probably better than in your twenties...they drive like crap....but in an airplane they are supervised by a competent captain.
But the fact is, and you may not notice, you don't drive as well. Your cognitive functions are deteriorating. On the flight deck, you may not even notice, but the FO is most likely covering your mistakes and deteriorating cognitive abilities . Oh, and loss of hearing. So , ask yourself, is it proper to pass the risk, when things get tough, to the passengers? Your performance might be fine when things are routine because the FO can mitigate your increasing errors but he cannot when things get tough. Is that what you want for your granddaughter?

— An experienced workforce. Air traffic controllers, pilots and maintenance crews — particularly in North America and Europe — have been on the job for decades. Their experience is crucial when split-second decisions are made and for instilling a culture of safety in younger employees. Former US Airways Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger — who spent three decades as an airline pilot — was praised for his skill after safely ditching a plane in the Hudson River in 2009. Both engines died because of a bird strike but all 155 passengers and crew survived.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2103446,00.html

check it out

Latest resources

Back