2004 Hiring at Net Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

abenaki

Folks, this is just one of those rumors circulating among the pilots at NJA, but it's recent and came from a company recurrent and I thought that for those of you hoping to apply and get on here that it may offer you some encouragement....and it makes some sense.

Word is that due to 91k, the company will have to hire upwards of 450 to cover the new rest/duty requirements. IF sales get back ontrack, that figure could conceivably go higher, I suppose......

The "bad news" is that they have something on the order of 500 applicants who have been intereviewed and "approved", but who knows how many of them are still waiting in the pool for the phone call versus having gone on to something else.

So, it would appear that there will be some movement here come the first of the year or so.

Just wanted to pass that on......

Abenaki,

Thanks for the good news. Regardless of the line in front, growth could be just around the corner - let's hope!!!!!

P.S. I noted that you were an RJ pilot previously. How do you like Netjets and flying the Citation X vs. flying for a commuter? Has anything surprised you positively or negatively? Appreciate any comments given I am interested in fractional flying myself - you can PM if needed.

Hi Heavy Set,

I assume you are referring to the Whale!?!?!?!?

In reference to your questions......

Flying for the "commuter/regional/whatever" (but CVG to DAL to Mexico City was NOT commuter work) was definitely easier work....no doubt about that from my personal perspective. You have fuelers, 121 disptach releases, baggage handlers, flight attendants, gate people, etc.....to do all the stuff that we handle at NJA. So, you can get on board, turn left and strap in and let everyone handle everything for you at the RJ job. That's nice.....makes it easy......significantly less daily operational job stress. Great pilot/FA comraderie that we don't have much opportunity to develop over here simply by virtue of not having a pilot base and pilot lounge......

But, to me, it was BOORRRRRING.....Many of the same places over and over and over again. And the union/management thing never got good though I guess it's better now though from what I'm reading it may not stay that way for long. (Obviously, I'm talking about the DAL/COMAIR thing.....you know, concessions, whipsawing, MEC vs. MEC, and all of that that isn't good for anyone including the company(s).)

I love the challenge of making things work at NJA.....you're definitely you're own boss out on the road in many respects. We do have a very good dispatch department with trained and qualified dispatchers who are very helpful. However, it's a much more free-wheeling op in terms of managing your own flights. The variety is great.....I've been as far as Anchorage to the west and as far east as St. Maarten.....Lots of mountain airports like Aspen, Telluride, Vail and Jackson Hole. Some of those airports are truly challenging. Lots of decision making in terms of performance considerations. I think it is more of a flying challenge than the RJ operation under 121. Some people like that....some don't. Dropping into Aspen is always fun and Telluride is....well, Telluride is just one of those experiences you have to have to believe.

I truly enjoy not knowing where I'm going though I have to admit that sometimes now knowing the "WHEN" can get tiring. The variations in schedules during the day or night can wear you out but there is usually some rest during a tour so it evens out for the most part.

The RJ versus the "X"? I thought the RJ handled great. Very crisp controls.....an honest machine. Kind of a dog above about FL250 with the engines that Comair bought. A nice cockpit....plenty of elbow room. A great avionics and panel suite. An intelligent design. Still had to wear headsets like the DC's though for the noise.....

The "X" doesn't handle as crisply though the newer ones are better but still not as nice as the RJ. That 40 degree sweep adds some challenges in gusty crosswinds and it is possible to scrape a wing-tip. But those big engines (for it's size......the latest models have increased thrust that really makes the thing rock off the runway) and that wing allow for pretty amazing peformance. While a Lear will beat it for intitial climb, once the X gets to about FL310, it's pretty much gone.....It will climb through the thirties at a solid 1500FPM or better while accelerating from .82 or so up to .88 or better IN THE CLIMB.

Very seldom do I cruise below FL 410 so it's easy to get above traffic, go direct and avoid weather. No sweat getting it to 430, 450 and 470 if you need it for range. And it's pretty quiet. Cruise is generally .87 right up to .92 though it's tough to get that above 410. Below 410, you often have to pull it back out of the cruise detents to keep it from blasting through MMO.

The cockpit of the X is not as good as the RJ......nowhere near the room, of course, but that doesn't really bother me much except on the longer flights......Excellent avionics with dual everything including the FMS's which we only had one of on the RJ's. We even have a tv screen in the cockpit that can uplink text weather and radar sweeps for anywhere you need.....a great little tool. The airplanes are clean and shiny for the most part.....well cared for and maintained though the X is a bit of a hanger queen.

For the most part, the pax are easy to get along with and are pretty much low maintenance. Seldom do we carry more than two or three people at a whack so the baggage/catering thing isn't a big deal. And about half the time we're ferrying so there isn't ANYONE to worry about except making sure your partner gets his crew food to keep him/her happy.....and the crew food is generally excellent. As are the hotels.

I am hopeful that this next contract and Part 91K will address some of the more fatiguing aspects of the schedules that we keep as well as some sorely needed increases in compensation and other important issues.....just have to wait and see.

Oh, and for me, no more commuting, no more crash pad, airport cr, and all the associated expenses....That's a huge increase for me in many areas of quality of life and expenses.

That cover it for you??? Let me know.....And best wishes to you...God bless....

Last edited:
Hi!

I would like to know how the 91K is affecting the fractionals. I'm currently flying under 135, and it seems like 91K is very similar to 135, although there are changes to 135. Which of them affect us, if any, I haven't been able to figure out-haven't had time to sit down and look at anything

CLiff
GRB

Abenaki,

Thanks for the great response - very thorough. Hope to see you on the line someday when hiring ramps up...

Cheers

Been reading the various posts on possible hiring in the new year & know this is probably a long shot, but......
can anyone PM me the name of the hiring manager/CP who interviews/selects pilots for Netjets for any of the types?
I did write in to "pilot recruitment" earlier this year to be told that they were "done for the year" & yes, I know about the pool of 500 (so what's new?!!).
As any seasoned job hunter already knows, HR/ recruitment are the LAST people you want to send a resume - their purpose in life is to screen you out! It is the person who will most likely be your immediate boss that gets the most action - I know from experience.
So, any ideas out there please?
I have a little corporate experience, having flown the Hawker a few years ago plus I have a 737NG type rating, international experience, solid customer service in two different industries and 7200+ TT. I would have thought a good mix to maybe warrant an interview, if & when NJA starts to hire again.
Thanks in advance for any info on names & addresses (P.S. I have already looked @ the website but it just says "pilot recruitment".

ALH

FAA ATP - B737, B757, B767
IAA ATPL - B737-200, B737-300 thru 737-800
CAA ATPL - B737-200, HS-748
Flown: all of the above plus HS125-700; many SMEL

HS748 - produced in the UK by Hawker Siddeley - twin engined (2 RR Dart engines) turboprop with about 50 some odd seats. Production ceased at least 20 years ago, with a couple hundred produced. Many still in operation in 3rd world. Air Illinois operated 2 of them in the late 70's or early 80's, if memory serves me right.

If you want to see what one looks like, go to www.airliners.net, and put the type in under the search engine.

Latest resources

Back