• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2000 hour wonders hired at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I disagree somewhat, there are minorities in whose culture a good education is highly prized.

Yes, you are 100% correct. And I believe it is mostly because of the expectations of both the culture and the parents of those children.

They EXPECT their children to go to school and become successful. These groups would be extremely disappointed if their child became a drug dealer, a thief and a drain on society.

There are groups however, that seem to accept and even revere the thug lifestyle and their kids usually don't dissapoint them.

Does anybody really believe that if our country is 18% African-American, yet only 5% of pilots or doctors, lawyers, are black, that it is a "failure" of the system?

Does the fact that 88% of our inmates are comprised from just 18% of our population mean that the criminal justice system is broken? No they are for the same reason.

It is about the lack of minorities in THIS COUNTRY to promote education. In most "ethnic" areas a kid will be ridiculed for being smart or doing homework or god forbid reading a book outside of school. The only way "out" is to be an athelete or rapper.
Instead of encouraging minority youths to be the best they can be and to study, we have the Al Sharptons of the world screaming for handouts and special treatment.

Bill Cosby has it right. "Social injustice" will never end unless we encourage ALL our kids to aspire to greater things through education.

Rant over

READ A BOOK!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

Clean Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgcZNpmOKuk

Last edited:
Against my better judgement, I'll throw in my opinion.

The starting point needs to be our school systems and educating kids to give them the tools to be succesful in the "Real World."

My wife and I researched all of the different Elementary, Junior and Senior High Schools in our School District, to see which ones would benefit our children (ie give them the best chance to be succesful as adults) When we ranked the schools from top to bottom, we then looked at homes in those neighborhoods. What we found was that the better schools were located in the neighborhoods that were more expensive and tended to be "White Collar" demographically.

No suprise there, the better schools are in the better neighborhoods crime wise as well according to our police department's website.

So it takes money to get a better home, in a better school district, in a low crime area, but how do you get there? Apparently, better schools, lead to better educations, which leads to better jobs, which leads you to start the cycle all over again with your own children.

The problem is, how do you break that cycle for the people who are stuck in the poor neighborhoods, with poor schools, in high crime areas?

Role models are most definately important as well. Children need to see people who they can identify with, to help them realize that they can also achieve the same things that they are witnessing. (first generation to maybe go to college, get a stable salaried position, move into a home and out of an apartment, etc.)

Go into these areas that need help, try and keep the kids focussed on education, staying out of trouble, and hope that you can break the cycle one person at a time.

Last edited:
It all goes back to the parents-educators can only do so much. So change your starting point from the schools to the parents is what I would say.

It all goes back to the parents-educators can only do so much. So change your starting point from the schools to the parents is what I would say.

Yes, parents too. I did leave them out for some reason.

Educators can only do so much, however if a child comes from a family who has never had a parent/relative go to college, than most likely a teacher or some other mentor/role model needs to be there.

But yes, parents are supposed to be our biggest role models. Sluf, are you Charles Barkely in real life? ;)

Last edited:
I'm no role model haha. But this is a crazy thread. It really covers all sorts of topics. But, I think there are a few factors besides the parents of course. If there's a horrible school system (ATL city comes to mind) teachers don't want to work there. There are some exceptions, but most teachers want to work for a system that has a good superintendent and management structure in place. It's no different from any other jobs. These bad schools can't attract good teachers and the cycle continues.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back