• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2000 hour wonders hired at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"The fact that affirmative action is meant to ensure that a qualified person will not be denied an opportunity because of race, gender and other factors is generally ignored."

In other words, if the qualifications of two individuals are the same, then gender or race mustn't be used as a deciding factor, a premise that is eminently fair. Coversely, allowances shouldn't be made, that allows an individuals minority status to trump the need for qualifications.

The NBA, the NFL etc., etc., don't have quotas nor do we want them to, we want them to have the very best players. We also want the very best doctors, pilots,astronauts without having to use quotas.

Ok then, how do you define the "best" pilot? Total number of hours? Least number of training event failures? Most number of Captain recs? for Every person hired, there are always hundreds more "qualified.". Now what say you? There are people turned down that are "more qualified" than many current CAs currently on property. In the NBA-NFL, those more qualified would simply replace those "on property.". Why then isn't this done at the airlines where safety and having the most qualified should be the top priority? It's the old blame game being played. If hiring was based purely on most number of hours, there would then be a debate over how personalities and letters of rec should be more important.

The best pilot is the one who is too damn bookoo! Seriously, has this really gone to 6 pages? This is the reason pilots are made fun of for having egos.

Ok then, how do you define the "best" pilot? Total number of hours?

We don't have to qualify best pilots as per se, airline x sets the requirement of x amount of hours, x amount of PIC, x amount of jet time, college degree, etc., etc. So, from that pool, you interview and those the company finds most suited gets the job.

You don't say, "Well that person doesn't actually have competitive qualifications, but due to his or hers ethnicity or gender we should make allowances."

We all know this is the case, so the argument isn't whether this happen or not, it is whether it is fair or not. I personally believe, that regardless of gender, color or creed, the best person should be hired for the job. I want my fire department to have the best firefighters, I want my hospitals to have the best doctors and I want to fly on airliners with the best possible pilots and no, I don't want gender, color or creed to have a bearing on the issue. You are either qualified based on the established criteria or you are not, "minority status shouldn't be a factor.

MLK said just that in his speech, but sadly JJ and Sharpton has perverted the issue. I could post the speech, but you are more than capable of finding it yourself.

Pilots in the Bible?

“And he came to Capernaum: and being in the house he asked them, What was it that ye disputed among yourselves by the way? / But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest.”

Hi!

I had about 1700 TT and about 750 ME, 0 PIC Turbine (Fixed-Wing), when I interviewed at DAL. I am a white guy.

After that interview, I could not get one anywhere else as my times/experience were WAY too low (also had my ATP MEL at the time).

I have no problem with DAL's hiring process, nor anyone else's. They can intervew and hire whoever they want...it's their company.

Does anybody really believe that if our country is 18% African-American, yet only 5% of pilots or doctors, lawyers, are black, that it is a "failure" of the system?

Does the fact that 88% of our inmates are comprised from just 18% of our population mean that the criminal justice system is broken? No they are for the same reason.

It is about the lack of minorities in THIS COUNTRY to promote education. In most "ethnic" areas a kid will be ridiculed for being smart or doing homework or god forbid reading a book outside of school. The only way "out" is to be an athelete or rapper.
Instead of encouraging minority youths to be the best they can be and to study, we have the Al Sharptons of the world screaming for handouts and special treatment.

Bill Cosby has it right. "Social injustice" will never end unless we encourage ALL our kids to aspire to greater things through education.

Rant over

Last edited:
Agreed 1000%

what responsibility do we all have to make education more equatable?

Now you've finally got it Wave

"Equitable" education means no more quotas or affirmative action. Merit.

And I've been to the inner city communites you smuggly suggested us white guys go visit. Not much self motivation that I saw - heard many derogatory comments why the "white bread" was volunteering at the soup kitchen in their hood. And should we even go down the road of the teen pregnancy rate I witnessed?

You can't keep blaming this all on "the man". At some point a community must take ownership for their plight and fix it.

Latest resources

Back