• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2000 hour wonders hired at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It looks like it started with post number 10 in the thread.

You mean this from jonjuan?

LOL- it's the blame game. If I'm not mistaken, everyone goes thru the same interview with CAs, technical, and computer test. I think most people would rather be flown by someone with 3,000 hours 121 glass over 4 years versus 1,500 f16 over 8 years, not that it really matters as they are hiring people to be fo's and not ca's.
Trg not to beat your wife over your entitlement

Funny how he didn't respond to my post about what "most people" would rather be flown by. Pax could care less about how much glass experience or turbine pic or no autopilot or whatever time you have up front. But pax somtimes ask if pilots were military. Just the way it is. Not a statement about who the better pilots are - like I've said, same mix of mostly good and a few "others" from all backgrounds IMO. But dudes like jonjuan just can't handle reality.

You mean this from jonjuan?

LOL- it's the blame game. If I'm not mistaken, everyone goes thru the same interview with CAs, technical, and computer test. I think most people would rather be flown by someone with 3,000 hours 121 glass over 4 years versus 1,500 f16 over 8 years, not that it really matters as they are hiring people to be fo's and not ca's.
Trg not to beat your wife over your entitlement

Funny how he didn't respond to my post about what "most people" would rather be flown by. Pax could care less about how much glass experience or turbine pic or no autopilot or whatever time you have up front. But pax somtimes ask if pilots were military. Just the way it is. Not a statement about who the better pilots are - like I've said, same mix of mostly good and a few "others" from all backgrounds IMO. But dudes like jonjuan just can't handle reality.

The reality is..........pax don't know anything.

He is dead so I'll just have to ask you. WTF are you talking about? I could care less about what happened twenty or thirty years ago. Discrimination today in the name of "equality" is still wrong.

The subject at hand is why would a company hire ANYONE, regardless of race or gender, that is underqualified for the position. Delta had literally thousands of resumes on hand to fill just a few hundred positions. Many, if not most, of those were high time civilian and military pilots. How then can you explain why they hired female pilots with less than 2K hours and no PIC time? The answer is they specifically sought out women to fill those positions. I.e. They discriminated against male pilots. Happy?

Well- what about all the captain's kids? interns? I bet there are still more low time white male hires out there than women and minorities. And I'd know.
I can agree that we shouldn't be putting unsafe pilots in the flight deck- problem is that if you get over the flight time one has when they first are hired- I haven't seen that women or minorities are worse at their jobs in any proportion greater than white males. Where I disagree with you on AA is 1) the irrationality of it- the numbers are still too small to blame them for your lack of advancement. So why be so concerned? 2) most of us have an aviation connection somewhere in our past - whether a family friend, neighbor, or relative- someone pointed us in the right direction. If no one like you has a pilot career then it will simply create a barrier to entry that will be harder to overcome. With the history of discrimination in this country, it will take more than a generation to overcome. And 3) I'm a white male- I hear all the sexist comments and jokes. I hear all the racist comments and jokes. So if you don't care about the discrimination of yesteryear- do you care about what occurs today? Or do you take the false view that discrimination doesn't exist?

I can't speak about the "liberal" view- the whole comment is crap- You don't understand my view bc you have not ever been discriminated against in any real way- I know this bc you think AA programs discriminate against white males when the REALITY is that well over 80% of all airline pilots are white males. Think about that and WHAT you are complaining about. If you can't succeed when 80% of the people who do what you do- are YOU- then maybe the fault is you or the current market-

All I can't help but think about when I hear these complaints is GROW UP. Take responsibility instead of just preach about it.

Last edited:
Hey there's another from my ignint list! ^^^^^

Time for a remake of that Luftansa A320 slut's x-wind "technique" for us to critique? Hang on!

Sounds like a lot more Deltoids are gonna have to summons their masterful cat-like reflexes they honed in the .mil! No sweat, they do haz the right stuff IMHO.

You don't understand my view bc you have not ever been discriminated against in any real way- I know this bc you think AA programs discriminate against white males when the REALITY is that well over 80% of all airline pilots are white males.

Affirmative action programs ARE discrimination. The whole idea of not hiring the most qualified person for the job, but instead filling some kind of quota that the government is putting into place is discrimination. And since that quota is against everybody but white men, then that IS discrimination. Against white men.

If you own your own company and you only want to hire whites, then whats the problem. If you own your own company and you only want to hire blacks than that shouldn't be a problem either. It's your own company, nobody should tell you who to hire. If you want your company to be the best, you should always hire the most qualified person for the position. Pretty much common sense. In a perfect world anyway.

Really? I think you'd have trouble defending that view with most conservatives, much less me.

Again- are you a conservative? Bc your post illustrates the major flaw of the conservative mindset-

You want to legislate things in a "perfect world"- you know, the one where kids will actually be abstinent, where drug users won't use, where everyone will be "responsible" and never be the wrong kind of greedy.

Liberals tend to legislate for the real world- the one we actually live in where mankind is flawed but with intelligent regulation ORDER can be had-

Every liberal wishes that there wasn't a need for Aff Action programs- that there is no discrimination- yet the evidence tells different story. Your own post illustrates your desire to have the freedom to discriminate without limit. This is simply not allowed in this country as determined by the constitution and the supreme court's interpretation of it. Now you and I can argue against brown v board of education or the Bollinger cases until we are blue in the face- but the bottom line is that discrimination still exists and laws to ensure fair employment are an asset to this country.

You'll just have to live with the fact that this country is NOT ALL white- and you might have to fly with a girl or a black guy sometimes.

God forbid.

Last edited:
A simpler question. If 12.9% of the population is black and 2% of airline pilots are black- has the system failed the black community?

If 50.7% of the population is female and less than 10% of the pilot population are female -has the system failed?

Pilot is one of the most sought after jobs on the planet- why the disproportion?

**http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Last edited:
Interesting:

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/affirmativetimeline1.html#axzz0zgCy7Oma

Timeline of Affirmative Action Milestones
Learn about the major milestones in the history of affirmative action (from the Columbia Encyclopedia: Programs to overcome the effects of past societal discrimination by allocating jobs and resources to members of specific groups, such as minorities and women). Read more about the history of affirmative action.

by Borgna Brunner

1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
March 6, 1961 Executive Order 10925 makes the first reference to "affirmative action"

President John F. Kennedy issues Executive Order 10925, which creates the Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity and mandates that projects financed with federal funds "take affirmative action" to ensure that hiring and employment practices are free of racial bias.
July 2, 1964 Civil Rights Act signed by President Lyndon Johnson

The most sweeping civil rights legislation since Reconstruction, the Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination of all kinds based on race, color, religion, or national origin.
June 4, 1965 Speech defining concept of affirmative action

In an eloquent speech to the graduating class at Howard University, President Johnson frames the concept underlying affirmative action, asserting that civil rights laws alone are not enough to remedy discrimination:
"You do not wipe away the scars of centuries by saying: 'now, you are free to go where you want, do as you desire, and choose the leaders you please.' You do not take a man who for years has been hobbled by chains, liberate him, bring him to the starting line of a race, saying, 'you are free to compete with all the others,' and still justly believe you have been completely fair . . . This is the next and more profound stage of the battle for civil rights. We seek not just freedom but opportunity—not just legal equity but human ability—not just equality as a right and a theory, but equality as a fact and as a result."

Latest resources

Back