• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2000 Hour Jet Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2000hours does not mean pilot can't have experience!

2000 hours can be accumulated withing many years!

In my last company I flew 150-200 hours a year. which puts me around 2000hours in 10 years!

So often you people think that person with 2000hours can't be skillfull and qualified! Total hours really has nothing to do how good the pilot is!

I take 2000hours MU-2 pilot over 10000 hours (152,172,RJ) any day.

This pilot could be ex-military pilot or something!

I feel sorry for the person hurt!

jbDC9 said:
Jesus Christ ladies, lighten up already... Miles, SkyBoy, Mike Ox; didja stop to think for even a second where the original poster was coming from? Not that he's bashing a guy for being an E170 capt with 2000 hrs, I think it was more amazement that a guy with such low time is in the left seat of a 70 seat jet. I know I'm pretty surprised by that; like I've said before, in the good (bad?) old days you could barely get a Baron check hauling job with 2000 hrs... much less left seat on a big shiny jet. My logbook from the bad old days show 4600 hrs when I finally made it to the rt seat on a BE-1900... 2 yrs later at 6800 hrs finally moved to the left. On a Beech 1900. Yep, 2000 hrs to be in that seat is pretty amazing...

So, don't get your panties in a wad, methinks IH8MESA was just surprised at the low number.

If he wasn't trying to be an asshat, what was the reason for putting the little "thumbs down" icon along with his post?

Last edited:
Read the report; it was the F.O. who was flying. I not blaming the F.O. though. Sometimes you can't do anything about what happens. It wouldn't of mattered how much experience the Captain had or even how experienced the F.O. was in this case. So for those of you that think your sh!t don't stink, maybe you should take another wiff of it!

For you IH8MESA; I'm surprised that you, claiming to have flown all those airplanes as stated in you profile, if true would also have alot of experience. And with the name IH8MESA and for you to post something like this, leads me to believe that; 1) your a flamebaiter and a B.S.er, 2) probably a real low timer at Mesa sittin' right seat and never sat left seat, 3) never flew any of those airplanes you state you have other then in MS Flight Sim. 3) maybe was at Mesa and got washed out.
Which one is it? Come clean now!

Last edited:
These airplanes don't exactly require thousands of hours to figure out how to fly and frankly, a few thousand repetetive airline (milk run) miles don't do a whole lot to make you a better pilot. They can actually make you worse if you get bored or complacent. Lots of highly competent 2,000 hour pilots out there. Most are in the right seat due to market and timing considerations but many could easily be in the left.

miles otoole said:
500 hours a year as an FO and wala, 2,000 hours after 2 years in the right seat.

Did you mean "voila"? What the hell does wala mean?

Completely ignoring the issue of flight experience, and considering only the limited details included in the initial NTSB report...

Doesn't anybody think it should have been possible to comply with an RA and climb 500 feet without causing "serious injury" to anybody? In my experience with RAs, "pulling G's" is not required. Reading between the lines, it sounds like someone did a panic pull-up. Poor airmanship is often the exhibition of some personal weakness that no amount of experience will change.

Latest resources

Back