2000 Hour Jet Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BeCareful! said:
Flame away, boyz, but I'll bet most of you that do so are fairly low time and not left seaters :)

So, is the fact that you are a 9000+ hour CRJ Captain supposed to be impressive or make your opinion somehow more valid? Sorry, try again chief.

IH8MESA said:
I wasn't trying to talk at all about what the incident was, just suprised as hell that they are putting 2000 hour pilots into the left seat of jets these days.

Are you surprised that we landed on the moon? I think he put himself there, company has no say in the matter. Gets hired at 800 hours, 500 hours a year as an FO and wala, 2,000 hours after 2 years in the right seat. Why does this surprise you or are you of the mindset that total time alone should dictate who upgrades?

Are you surprised that we landed on the moon? I think he put himself there, company has no say in the matter. Gets hired at 800 hours, 500 hours a year as an FO and wala, 2,000 hours after 2 years in the right seat. Why does this surprise you or are you of the mindset that total time alone should dictate who upgrades?
We landed on the moon? WTF?

many companies mave minimum upgrade times........i thought they were all more than 2000.

yes, but it is at the discretion of the company...can be waived if need be...extremely understaffed on 170 for all positions, so 2000 hr capt. is very likely

RAH is 2500TT...according to the CHQ contract. Perhaps it is a mistake?

Anyway what is the big deal? I have 3100TT and I'm in the left seat of an EMB145...am I a gift to flying, NO. Am I learning how to be a good at what I do, YES. Am I humble and thankful that I am in the seat that I'm in, YES!

When I started flying I had 0TT, a few lessons later I had 8 hours and a solo endorsement in my log book to go and fly three trips around the pattern, by myself. A few more lessons and I had 20 hours and a new cross country endorsement to fly to an airport 90 miles away all by myself. Long story short--I wound up with 1900 hours and 800 hours of multiengine time and a class date...two years later lucky enough to be called for an upgrade class...and bam here I am.

I guess IH8MESA must of had a few thousand hours when he soloed, most of us needed much less to solo. I am wondering IH8MESA how you gained so much, so soon and are able to call people out for having, oh my, 2000 hours?

What's in your logbook?

No, no, no. CHQ has a 2500TT min on the 170, and it has gone tremendously senior lately. I assure you anyone in that left seat has 3000TT+ probably meant to say 2000PIC or something. Sorry guys, no 2000TT guys in the left seat here. First hand knowledge.

Jesus Christ ladies, lighten up already... Miles, SkyBoy, Mike Ox; didja stop to think for even a second where the original poster was coming from? Not that he's bashing a guy for being an E170 capt with 2000 hrs, I think it was more amazement that a guy with such low time is in the left seat of a 70 seat jet. I know I'm pretty surprised by that; like I've said before, in the good (bad?) old days you could barely get a Baron check hauling job with 2000 hrs... much less left seat on a big shiny jet. My logbook from the bad old days show 4600 hrs when I finally made it to the rt seat on a BE-1900... 2 yrs later at 6800 hrs finally moved to the left. On a Beech 1900. Yep, 2000 hrs to be in that seat is pretty amazing...

So, don't get your panties in a wad, methinks IH8MESA was just surprised at the low number.

Latest resources

Back