200 in class B

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

simbo

Flying out of IAD the other day I was doing about 215 kias bout 1500 ft after t/o. The guy I was flying with mentioned my speed saying we are not out of "ata". I didnt think that appied to class B. I think he means the 2500 ft and 4 some miles from towered airport in class c/d. Does this apply to big class b airports? Just seeing what some of the airline guys do/think.

Thanks

Flying out of IAD the other day I was doing about 215 kias bout 1500 ft after t/o. The guy I was flying with mentioned my speed saying we are not out of "ata".

Airport Traffic Areas haven't existed since we changed to the ICAO airspace classes in... what... 1993, I think it was?

I didnt think that appied to class B. I think he means the 2500 ft and 4 some miles from towered airport in class c/d. Does this apply to big class b airports? Just seeing what some of the airline guys do/think.

:confused:

We do/think what's in the FARs. The 200-knot is, as you indicated, only applicable within 4nm of a Class C or D primary airport, below 2500 AGL. The regulation even specifically says, "This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area."

I've had a similar situation coming into a Class C primary airport, where as I cross the 10nm outer ring, I hear, "We have to be at 200 knots in Class C!" Uhh.... no.

I think your flying partner needs a re-read on 91.117. ;)

Heck, you spent a whole time of time in NY. I think there are more TRSAs up that way than any other place in the country.

200 knots below the floor of the Bravo, sure. Otherwise: head up butt.

Never heard of ATA. Started flying just afte rthey redesigned the airspace designations.

But yeah, 250 in B, 200 under the shelf of B and 200 within 4 NM of C and D up to 2500'.

Minor nit, but no, not 250 in B. 250 below 10,000, yes. If you're going through ATL's Class B at 11,000 and you slow to 250, I'm gonna rear-end ya. Even in a Cessna. ;)

Sorry, I thought that was implied that one could traverse airspace at 250 below 10K.

Never heard of ATA.

Makes me feel old, too. I still refer sometimes to Class D as an ATC, Class C as an ARSA or TRSA, and Class B as a TCA. I still occasionally refer to Class a as Positive Control Airspace (PCA). And yes, I still refer to the airport traffic area.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back