20 ABX DC9 Captains Surplussed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ABXDC9

20 DC-9 Captains were notified today by Flight Management that they are surplussed effective November 11.
Most will probably go to 767 FO with a few transitioning back to DC9 FO.
Speculation is that 40 -50 furlough notices are forthcoming.

20 DC-9 Captains were notified today by Flight Management that they are surplussed effective November 11.
Most will probably go to 767 FO with a few transitioning back to DC9 FO.
Speculation is that 40 -50 furlough notices are forthcoming.

"THIS IS THE END.....THE END MY FRIEND...."

Shouldn't "surplussing" come from the bottom of the seniority list? Why would Captains be surplussed before FOs (it's always been my understanding that ABX has had an "up or out" policy, so junior captains should be an exception rather than a norm)? Speculation on future furlough notices is one thing, but something's missing with an announcement of senior people being excessed first. Sucks either way....

ABX uses it "surplussing" to reduce the crews / seat position for that airframe. We are surplussing 20 DC9 captains because they feel we are overstaffed in that position. The surplus is then based on seniority for that seat, so the bottom 20 captains are told you no longer have a position as a captain, you can bid whatever your seniority will let you hold (system wide).

Shouldn't "surplussing" come from the bottom of the seniority list? Why would Captains be surplussed before FOs (it's always been my understanding that ABX has had an "up or out" policy, so junior captains should be an exception rather than a norm)? Speculation on future furlough notices is one thing, but something's missing with an announcement of senior people being excessed first. Sucks either way....

Surplusing is a reduction in force for a particular assignment/category. Furlough is "hit the road Jack". The 20 most junior DC-9 CA's can now "bid" to displace any crewmember junior to them in any other seat. All of the captain(s) in question are senior to the bottom 20 767 F/O's. They are also senior to 4 of the KIX based 767 CA's. Some of them may opt for the left seat in KIX (I would, just to get some 767 PIC time to make myself more marketable for the future). All of this will more than likely result in the bottom 20 767 F/O's being declared surplus to their positions, and they in turn will more than likely displace 20 DC-9 F/O's. Ultimately the bottom line is that the 20 most junior crewmembers will be furloughed unless someone opts for a voluntary furlough.

This is the beginning of the painful process of furloughing the bottom 2/3's or so of the ABX seniority list. The company's stated intentions are to end up with approximately 170 active crewmembers IF ABX continues to operate as an airline. Given the number of crewmembers out on disability anybody below #182 will eventually be furloughed. Looking at the seniority and bid lists only 98 of the current ILN based 767 CA's will remain, and only about half of them will still be CA's when this is all done. 42 of the current DC-9 CA's will remain, and again, about half in the left seat of the 767. All of the current MIA based 767 CA's will remain, 6 will still be in the left seat. 1 MIA based 767 F/O will remain and 2 KIX based 767 CA's will survive in the right seat. Everyone else will be gone. This assumes:
1) The company continues to operate the existing 16 767 SF's;
2) Everybody who needs to retrain makes it through training;
3) None of those currently on disability come back to the line.

Note that individual seniority numbers may, to some degree, be in flux. At least one 767 CA who had sufficient seniority to remain has found another job and resigned. Another has taken a leave of absense to train for another carrier, and several others are getting ready to.

A very sad day indeed. :puke: :bawling:

Last edited:
The surplussing and furloughs are quite so tied together, in fact, one really has nothing to do with the other. Even if all 20 of the 9 Capt's were to select 767 FO ILN, that would not cause surplussing in that seat, the junior 767 FO's will simply stay in seat until the respective surplused Capts are trained at which time the junior FO's will be furloughed.

Even before ANY of that happens, expect 30+ furloughs of 9 FO's without any 767 FO's having been surplused to displace them.

The surplussing and furloughs are quite so tied together, in fact, one really has nothing to do with the other.

I disagree. They are tied.

Even if all 20 of the 9 Capt's were to select 767 FO ILN, that would not cause surplussing in that seat, the junior 767 FO's will simply stay in seat until the respective surplused Capts are trained....
True, perhaps. See below.

...at which time the junior FO's will be furloughed.

My point exactly. I didn't say the 767 FO's would be surplused before the former DC-9 CA's were trained. The possiblity exists that this group of DC-9 CA's will not be trained at all, as they will ultimately be furloughed anyway. Depends on how fast DHL shuts down the DC-9 fleet.

Even before ANY of that happens, expect 30+ furloughs of 9 FO's without any 767 FO's having been surplused to displace them.

Perhaps, but more DC-9 F/O will be surplused if the DC-9 CA's go to the 767 F/O seat and 767 F/O's are surplused as a result.

I am saying there will be no surplussing from the 767 FO seat, only furloughs. They will furlough from the bottom on the 9, then as the 767 training is done, they will FURLOUGH from the 767 FO seat. Dc-9 attrition will not be as a result of trickle down 767 surpluses, but simply from the 9 going away and there being a surplus on that aircraft. Again, I do not forsee ANY 767 FO's having an "opportunity" to go to the 9, only out the door.

Last edited:
this whole thing makes you wonder what's really going on. The 9 CA were being used almost every night ( I sat R1 three nights in a row (my choice)with the same CA).

Numbers I have heard from CP themselves is a MINIMUM of 60 people January 1 (or so)

I think there is a big RIF coming sooner than later...

Do mean furloughs effective furloughs effective in Jan? If so, those numbers are high. Notices are forthcoming for Jan. furloughs, but not 60+. More to follow after the Holidays.

Latest resources

Back