• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1990's - "The Good 'Ol Days"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember the nineties: beating doors in 1992, trying to find free-lance work with 120 former Eastern guys doing the same thing in BHM.

Richard Scrushy (of Healthsouth fame) had 4 jets and nobody on full-time. He had ~10 guys working part-time 5 days a week, no benefits. Some had kids.

I knew a guy flying a BE-200 solo for $40k a year. A retired Army guy undercut him and got the job for $30k and no benefits.

Nobody hired, other than SWA and Valujet, until about '96. When I started at ASA in '95 I had 1500TT, 500 turbine and was the least qualified in the class - there were two ex military guys.

My favorite memory: I was begging for a job at Trans-South (it was taking 2000 hours to get a C210 job) and met an ex F-4 guy. He was driving a courier truck, waiting on a flying slot to open up. He'd been driving that Chevy Luv for 7 months.

Yeah, I remember the nineties. As Kurt Vonnegut said - there are no good old days, just days.....

Huck said:
I remember the nineties: beating doors in 1992, trying to find free-lance work with 120 former Eastern guys doing the same thing in BHM.

Nobody hired, other than SWA and Valujet, until about '96. When I started at ASA in '95 I had 1500TT, 500 turbine and was the least qualified in the class - there were two ex military guys.

Yeah, I remember the nineties. As Kurt Vonnegut said - there are no good old days, just days.....
Yep, the good (?) old days... glad to see someone else here remembers the same stuff. The early '90s; back when you could barely get a 135 check hauling job with 2000 hrs; when it took 4-5000 hrs to get a BE-1900/J-31/E-110 FO job; when the E-120, SF-340, Dash 8 and ATR-42 were "heavy iron", not looked down upon as turboprop trash by a 900 hr TT kid in the right seat of an RJ... and an RJ? What's that? Going from C-172 CFI to right seat at a "commuter"? Nope, that didn't happen.

I know it's a whole new world now, the industry has changed completely... but it's kinda funny (or sad, actually) to hear some of the kids on here whining about how bad things are; they really have no idea...

Clawing and scratching for students. Pumping gas for an FBO/charter operator for two years to finally fly right seat as a contract guy for two years until you earned full-time status. I remember a furloughed major pilot who was a former Gulf War F117 pilot applying for an FBO job to get a foot in the door. I was hoping I would get a job flying the Brasilia someday. I do have to say though, the future looked brighter then than now.

Last edited:
It certainly has changed...we had people walk out of interviews when told they would not be "guaranteed" a seat on the RJ. Kids that said "I deserve the jet cause I have 1000 hours with 150 multi" Maybe if every one had to get furloughed and watch their company go under ...be out of aviation for a few years ..work at a job they hate...start over at the bottom....o say three times...then some attitudes would be a tad different.

Latest resources

Back