• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

18 hour duty days are safe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah this has unsafe written all over it. I would drop the Fbomb so fast... (hell possibly both in one sentence)

As stated before

The delays here in the regional world are caused by MX or WX both of which don't gaurantee you time to nap as you wait for updates on either condition. My company also does not give you a proper place to catch a nap at our bases. In fact in EWR they feel it necessary to keep lights on in the only area a nap is possible.
You make the decision just like I do

You guys need to be more of a team player and look out for the good of the company and not just your own selfish agenda to work as little as possible.

lololol.....you need to sit in my right seat and ill slap the brown right off your azz.....hows that for a team player?

Last edited:
You make the decision just like I do

Yep, now just trying to get the Feds to put it in writing so we can all be on the same page. I used to work for SkyWest so I know how being an "At Will" employee can play into the decision making process. This industry already has enough blood on its hands.

Yep, now just trying to get the Feds to put it in writing so we can all be on the same page. I used to work for SkyWest so I know how being an "At Will" employee can play into the decision making process. This industry already has enough blood on its hands.

Is your name Don?:)

Yip, either NASA or the NTSB have a graph showing the percentages of accidents that occur at what point in the duty day.

I suggest that you take a good, long look at it-apply some comprehensive study techniques and understand what that plot is telling you-and then get back to us...

bearing in mind of course that there was some CP or OD breathing down their necks to get the job done, a weak or non-existent union and that they had done it before and it'll probably be okay.

Last edited:
so what is the number?

Yip, either NASA or the NTSB have a graph showing the percentages of accidents that occur at what point in the duty day.
The safest way to operate airplanes is never to fly them, that way there will never be an accidnet. However once you take an airplane into the air you acept a degree of risk. You have to manage that risk, how you manage that risk is where there a wide variety of opinions. So what is the number that makes us safe for duty; 12 hours max, 4 hours max? 6 hours max? What the number that makes duty never a problem? As I stated before I have bene in worse shape after one hour duty coming out the Emery Hub at KDAY at 0400 my first day of duty than I have been after 18 hours of duty during an almost all day time operation.

Last edited:
Of course we have to manage risk-this being one of the big ones! The problem is that when you're that tired you can't make very good decisions and you may not make the decision to pull yourself off a trip. It's funny to me how we all analyze weather, maintenance etc, but we put such little stock in a pilot that is fit to fly.

Which Decision?

Your decision making capacity is diminished after a certain amount of time awake due to your judgement being equivalent to that of someone who has had a few drinks.

And your point is? I should not have taken the trip out of KDAY at 0400 after being on duty for one hour because I was fatigued? Or I should not have taken the 18-hour trip to get back home basically when I felt fully rested? Which decision would you want to make for me?

Latest resources

Back