• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

18 hour duty days are safe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a long line of pilots who will tell you otherwise. Lets see its 2100, I have been on duty 15 hours, I am in MMIO, and I have choice to spend the night in MMIO, with a cab ride through MMIO in the middle of the night, or hop in my airplane and fly home in three hours. Almost everyone would make the decision at that time to go home. However I believe you are waving the safety flag. and no one can ever be against the safety flag. So to say any more when the safety flag is waving is a loosing battle. BTW not to mention that 18 hrs of duty is legal under 121 for a two-man crew with, if a third man rides the jump seat for all but 2 hrs. Rest in the jump seat is such a good thing. Again not mentioning the 16-20 hours days crossing 4-5 time zones? Are we going to ban int'l flying or stop in Iceland and change crews, turn a 2-day trip into a 6-day trip with no additional flying?

Yip,
You've been behind the desk too long. A good captain will take the plane 30 minutes north to Lardeo and call it a night and avoid both scenarios you're suggesting. Concerning long haul international, it's a completely different animal with 3-4 pilots and racks in the airplane for some solid sleep. Even so, I'd love to see this long line of pilots. I don't know anyone at my company that likes 4 person crews with 18 plus hour duty days. You need to lay off the bean counter kool-aid.

Ron lrd

Yip,
You've been behind the desk too long. A good captain will take the plane 30 minutes north to Lardeo and call it a night and avoid both scenarios you're suggesting. Concerning long haul international, it's a completely different animal with 3-4 pilots and racks in the airplane for some solid sleep. Even so, I'd love to see this long line of pilots. I don't know anyone at my company that likes 4 person crews with 18 plus hour duty days. You need to lay off the bean counter kool-aid.
If RON LRD, now we now have a legal crew omn the boarder, we will hold you until we get a return trip or you can bring it home tongiht. I am the Capt, I am coming home safely. To each his own, as stated before this comes from 40 years in this business and 13,000 hours

ah, some people just dont get it.

that's too long of duty day and its not safe....14 hours is too long and that has been proven time and again to be unsafe...so adding MORE time just makes it MORE unsafe.

Stand up to this and dont allow it. You're idiot manager has nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Our job is to manage risk, not take risks. Eff the company, gimme a hotel, what am I going to accomplish on a day when I land at 3 and get home at 5am

18 hours is a piece of cake if your duty started at 0700 after a good nights sleep and going until 0100 to get back home. 18 hours is a ball buster if your duty started at 1900 after a being up all day and going until 1300 the next day. What about a four sooze in the FBO during the 18 hours? all these things come into consideration. 18 hours by itself tells nothing.

I don't think so.

http://cf.alpa.org/internet/projects/ftdt/backgr/fatigue_performance_impairment_1997.html

"Therefore, after 17 hours of sustained wakefulness (3:00) cognitive psychomotor performance decreased to a level equivalent to the performance impairment observed at a blood alcohol concentration of 0.05%."

You guys need to be more of a team player and look out for the good of the company and not just your own selfish agenda to work as little as possible.

There is a long line of pilots who will tell you otherwise. Lets see its 2100, I have been on duty 15 hours, I am in MMIO, and I have choice to spend the night in MMIO, with a cab ride through MMIO in the middle of the night, or hop in my airplane and fly home in three hours. Almost everyone would make the decision at that time to go home.

Just go to the Hampton Inn SLW, nice place with a free breakfast.

Not sure what's wrong with a cab ride there.

I will make the decisions

Until they don't come home.
I will make the determination if I safe to fly, not you. If you are fatigued and can not safely make the trip, you go to the hotel. But being up from 0600, until 2100, with a two-hour nap at MCI while waiting for freight, I am in good shape to make that decision to safety come home. I am much more rested in this situation than I was coming out of the KDAY Emery hub with one hour of duty at 0400 my first day on duty after being on days off living my family's daytime schedule. BTW as posted above, by BTTB, it goods like the fatigue flag is being waved freely to avoid work when it is not really a safety issue.

I will make the determination if I safe to fly, not you. If you are fatigued and can not safely make the trip, you go to the hotel. But being up from 0600, until 2100, with a two-hour nap at MCI while waiting for freight, I am in good shape to make that decision to safety come home. I am much more rested in this situation than I was coming out of the KDAY Emery hub with one hour of duty at 0400 my first day on duty after being on days off living my family's daytime schedule. BTW as posted above, by BTTB, it goods like the fatigue flag is being waved freely to avoid work when it is not really a safety issue.

The delays here in the regional world are caused by MX or WX both of which don't gaurantee you time to nap as you wait for updates on either condition. My company also does not give you a proper place to catch a nap at our bases. In fact in EWR they feel it necessary to keep lights on in the only area a nap is possible.

Latest resources

Back