• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

170/175 and CRJ900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok - I buy the differences that are apparent between CPZ and OH/XJ. I get the baby steps issue and the issue that this is a starting point. These are all givens, based on the structure of the entity and how Compass came to be during the NWA bankruptcy.

My beef is this: Just stick to the facts that carry weight! Give up on all the BS that Compass pilots are pre-screened NWA pilots, are more qualified, are PICs, ATPs, their training is better yadda yadda yadda. If you truly are fighting for the rest of us and this is indeed just a starting point, don't insult the rest of us with the arrogance and patronizing reasons to start with CPZ! It's doing nobody a favor. My other beef is that everyone is so caught up with JET scope and capturing jet flying. Shouldn't you want ALL flying? Even large t-props?

Further... what makes you think DL mgmt want to cram 88 seats into that thing anyhow? All those trans pacific and trans atlantic flights are filled with people that BUY those Biz-Elite seats. How do you think they get to MSP, DTW, MEM, JFK, CVG, ATL, SLC and all the gateways? On mainline and DCI planes with a FC cabin is how. Whoever flies the large RJs, it doesn't matter, DL mgmt is going to want FC seats for their bread and butter full fare business class people.

edit - AC you had me for a moment, until you added your last post regarding the interviewing etc... You just don't get it. Quit the arrogant, you shoulda applied and you'd know attitude. If it doesn't have anything to do with it... why then did you feel the need to add a whole new post on the issue? Again, just stick to the facts that will help you with your cause and knock it off with the arrogance.

Last edited:
Well if you want to get in to the legal side of it. They have flow though rights per their contract. They were screened by NWA to make sure that they had a say when they could. These said CPZ pilots will come to DAL off of probation. IE full fledged DAL pilots. That is huge.
Moreover. The did not sign any sort of contract that nullifies these rights to a seniority number prior to being flowed up. That is huge. They, today have rights to numbers on our list. That is night and day different than any other flow that has ever existed. This included the express jet flow as they signed a contract making these flow rights null and void prior to being allowed to flow. Get that?

Also, I am not giving you this argument in the first person. These are the issues that DAL management has mentioned in passing. They want people to be vetted by a mainline entity. I am not saying that you are not qualified, I am telling you that the process over here is night and day different. We do not give people a sim ride. We know that you can fly. It is about your thinking process. How you deal with people. The issues associated with regional pilots and their flying skills went away in the 90's. We in the eyes of DAL HR and Flt Ops are now just as good of pilots as our military counterparts. There is no more quality control issue. Add to that if you suck as a pilot and made it though the regional ranks with that not being found out, they will fire you in training. I have seen it happen more than once. Have a bad attitude, you are gone. There are no excuses here. They know they have 12K+ pilots looking for your job.
I am not saying our interview is better, easier, tougher, or trickier that yours. What I am saying is that it finds a certain individual. I can tell you that 95% of the time they are dead on, 4% are close and 1% just plain get through. Anger does not work well on this side of the isle. It is managements job to hire pilots, It will be up to them to take you if we agree to re scope the flying. 99.9% of the time they will as they do not want to fight the union.
It is not arrogance. I was in your shoes buddy, I know what it takes to get here. I know what they are and are not looking for. Just ask around. I am not bsing you. I am telling it to you straight as I can. I am not in to arrogance. I would say that on any given day 85% of regional guys can pass a mainline interview. I think you can agree with that.

It took me a few days to hear back from my family and friends that are pilots at DAL and NW. They are saying compass will never be intergrated. Its not worth it and many of the Senior guys at NW and DAL don't want anything to do with it...

Sounds like its time for this topic to end.

Good Luck though... If it does work out then good for all.

Yeah, but it can't pay your mortgage, put your kids through college, or provide for your retirement.

I think it's funny that some of the same people that say this "put your kids through college" are usually the same ones that give sh** to an Embry riddle grad for having his "rich mommy and daddy" pay for all their school.
How about teaching your kids to work hard for their sh*t and earn some scholarships? Especially if they want to be a doctor or follow in their daddy's retarded a$$ foot steps!

I think it's funny that some of the same people that say this "put your kids through college" are usually the same ones that give sh** to an Embry riddle grad for having his "rich mommy and daddy" pay for all their school.
How about teaching your kids to work hard for their sh*t and earn some scholarships? Especially if they want to be a doctor or follow in their daddy's retarded a$$ foot steps!

Or better yet, if you really want to go to Riddle, work there full time and get free tuition plus a salary. Graduate 3 years later with 0 debt and a lot of work experience...which equals good letters of recommendation and probably a lot more respect than someone who got it given to them from a trust fund, or took down 100k in loans.

I agree that of you go to ERAU, go get the business degree. It is better to go to a four year liberal arts college, and then get your certs.
Now there are connections that ERAU has that only Prude, Auburn, and UND have. So there is a benefit to go there. Just do not do you cert work there. Do the 400 level sim stuff and that is it. Save about 60K.

I beg your pardon?

I would not pay for one of my kids to go to ERAU because I don't think it is worthwhile. You get a degree from a university which has essentially no standing outside of aviation. I would do what I can to help my kids through a "regular" university (preferably in a field of study with broad application) - personally I value education and if I could help them come out without a huge debt I think that would be a plus. Sorry if that offends you.

And for the record (not that it's any of your damn business), I am encouraging them to work hard and get good grades so they can get scholarships. They'll need them since with the continued erosion of this industry I most likely WON'T be able to help them as much as I'd like to.

Does ERAU produce a decent pilot? Yes. Better than anywhere else? No, based on what I've seen they are within the bell curve of many other schools. I take issue with people putting too much stock in the suposed cachet of the name, when in fact all they are doing is paying a premium price for an average product.

I basically agree with what I think AC is saying - except I think you would be MUCH better served getting a business degree from any of a number of state or liberal arts schools (and saving money in the process) and getting your ratings on the side.

Now back to the actual topic of the thread - I take issue with ever more flying moving from the mainlines to the regionals. I stand by my statement of around 20 years ago that the key to scope was to bring everything possible to the mainline, not the other way around. As far as I'm concerned, 19 seaters with Brand X painted on the side or codesharing should be brought onto the mainline. As was previously pointed out, doing so ultimately creates more jobs, with better work rules and pay. This drives the compensation level for the entire industry higher, so maybe I can make enough to not have to eat cat food when I retire.

i have finished the first page, I am not reading anymore. Someone spouted off about $25 an hour.....yeah blame that one on the pilots.....you and everyone else who hates low paid pilot are idiots. Who is at fault.....the business who does what they can to make a buck? Or the Union (ALPA) who has done NOTHING to prevent such things from happening? Listen, I am sure ALPA spent millions fighting the age 65 rule, then when the cause was lost, they jumped on board- I am so proud of ALPA.

Why not fight the good fight, start with quality of life for the junior members of our profession. It would be easy enough to say....set a bar for pay on a per seat basis...

what will ALPA's next "bad" fight be when there is so many good ones out there.

set a "by this date" you will have this pay or your main line shuts down. One National contract per brand name.....easy enough. that was sarcasm.....

Latest resources

Back