• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

168 "Large" Regional Aircraft left for RFP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to the DOT site YTD, Pinnacle is dead last (not YV or EV) with a cancellation rate of 3.88. (please note this is NOT posted as an attack on Pinnacle, but rather to show a discrepancy in your statement). YV has a YTD cancellation rate of 2.97 and OO is a bit better with a cancellation rate of 2.6. If you look at the entire year of 2012, YV had a LOWER cancellation rate (1.42%) than OO (1.81%). 2013 YV delay 16.65% of the time, which is slightly better than OO's 19.41% delay rate. Note that the tables I found only included 5 regionals. If you have a better source, I'm asking you to share it (perhaps a link or something?) so we can be on the same page.

You previously made a claim that Mesa was the dead bottom performer out of all of the regionals. I have yet to see you provide ANY evidence that supports this claim, and I suppose I fail to see where the performance numbers clearly show that OO has good operating numbers and YV does not. I'm actually LOOKING for any statistics that support your statement, and so far I don't find anything to back your claims.

HERE IS A LINK TO YOUR SOURCE
http://www.transtats.bts.gov/HomeDrillChart_Month.asp?URL_SelectMonth=1&URL_SelectYear=2013

So to pre-empt your next diversion, I DO realize that OO is about 4X the size as YV. That's the beauty of percentages ... it breaks it all down based on 'per 100' to make a comparison. Is it more demanding to operate a larger airline? Perhaps... but if thats the argument, why is United's cancellation rate 0.55% while Skywest is 2.6% YTD? Last I checked, United was a pretty large operation, too.

I guess I just don't see how you're drawing your conclusion. But I suppose its time to move on because at this point it seems that some of your own co-workers are having difficulty expressing confidence or respect for you. Perhaps I'm wasting my time.

Perhaps you're not taking into account that OO deals with more flying in and out of heavily congested hubs than Mesa. When those hubs have issues due to weather, mainline takes OO's slots and passes the delays and cancellations onto their(OO's) operation.

Perhaps you're not taking into account that OO deals with more flying in and out of heavily congested hubs than Mesa. When those hubs have issues due to weather, mainline takes OO's slots and passes the delays and cancellations onto their(OO's) operation.

HAHA that MUST be it. What a lame cop-out and... The excuses shift again.

THANK you! Now, can you go back and highlight the YV column for everyone. Interestingly, as I previously stated, there is a 0.3% ( 1 flight per ever 333) difference in completion factor (for the last three months) in OO's favor. For every 333 flights, Mesa cancels one more than Skywest. Again, this statistic is only applicable for the last three months, and a review of 2012 shows that statistic even more greatly in YV's favor. In ALL other columns YV's numbers appear to be significantly better than OO. And again, I ask you to compare the results of the entire year of 2012 for additional substance and YV is ahead in all categories.

I'm not stating that OO has a poor operation... not for a second. What I am saying is that in my opinion, based on the evidence presented, your statement that YV has poor operating numbers is unfounded. If your only evidence that is slightly in OO's favor is the 3-month completion statistic (even though the annual completion statistic shows in YVs favor) and all other numbers show in YVs favor, how can you defend your argument? Be honest - if you were on the jury, with all evidence presented, would you honestly buy your defense???

For a more apples-to-apples comparison, could you post the USX numbers for PHX (where the only two USX regionals are YV and OO) and are operating a similar number of daily flights in and out of the same hub? I honestly don't know who leads in those numbers (only know what I've been told) and I don't have access to those numbers, but perhaps you do? That might give a better comparison.

Last edited:
For a more apples-to-apples comparison, could you post the USX numbers for PHX (where the only two USX regionals are YV and OO) and are operating a similar number of daily flights in and out of the same hub? I honestly don't know who leads in those numbers (only know what I've been told) and I don't have access to those numbers, but perhaps you do? That might give a better comparison.

We are not privy to that information, US Airways doesnt share with us all their carriers performance and neither does American Airlines. If they did, I would gladly post those numbers for you. I can tell you that so far for the month of April, OO stats for...(

United (1118 flights): D0-63.4%, A14-78.09%, CF-99.2%
Delta (593 flights): D0-81.3%, A14-91.0%, CF-99.2%
US Airways (92 flights): D0-83.4%, A14-88.0% and CF-97.0%
American (96 flights): D0-81.6%, A14-94.1%, CF-100%
Alaska (22 flights): D0-76.8%, A14-84.5%, CF-97.6%

For your apples-to-oranges comparison...here it goes. Mesa does not fly to airports that are notorious for flow programs. You could argue for ORD but in reality the flow programs there havent been near as nasty as they used to be since they added another runway a few years back. OO is the only UAX operator in SFO. SFO gets a flow program, on average, 5 out of the 7 days a week. EV is largest of the UAX operators at EWR, which also goes into a flow program 5 out of the 7 days a week. United mainline's numbers look great because they tell OO and EV to cancel flights so their aircraft can arrive on time, then they even go a step further by substituting flow times to favor their mainline operation. That is United's choice, and its understandable what they do and why they do it. Delta also uses it's authority on carrier flow times but not nearly on the scale that United does. You would be hard pressed to find a mainline flight with more than 30 mins of flow time, while the average OO flight has an hour or more. I've seen flow delays as lengthy as 4 hours. And before United merged with Continental, OO did more daily flights for United than United mainline did. You'll notice that OO does more daily flights for Delta than YV does total, and I'll bet anything that OO's Delta Connection performance is crushing YV.

We are not privy to that information, US Airways doesnt share with us all their carriers performance ... . You'll notice that OO does more daily flights for Delta than YV does total, and I'll bet anything that OO's Delta Connection performance is crushing YV.

Hmmm thats funny, because they seem to be sharing the numbers with the other USX carriers. I've seen them in the past... they are sent via email. However I'm not on the email list as I'm not a DX or in any Flight Ops department.

As for your continued excuses to justify your comment... I give up. Every time I present evidence that disproves your statements, you run to a different argument. I wouldn't be pressing so hard if you hadn't mad the statements... Im just tired of people spouting off "facts" they can't support. Again, I'm sure the OO operation is just fine... that's not the argument. It was purely that you made a statement that you can't provide evidence to support. In what way do ANY of these numbers suggest that YV has poor operational performance? Stop running toward excuses, I'm becoming embarrassed for you.

This is where I quit. At some point, you just can't reason with a person. However, I'm sure our exchange of "facts" versus excuses has opened some eyes to how knowledgeable and fact-based your statements truly are. Again, judging by the reaction of some of your own people toward you, I should have known better than to bother even trying.

I don't think there are too many people on this end wishing failure or poor performance on OO. What I will never understand is why you, XPOO, always seems so threatened by little-old-under-performing-Mesa. Hmmmm.

Kind of what DAL did to Freedom.

Hmmm thats funny, because they seem to be sharing the numbers with the other USX carriers. I've seen them in the past... they are sent via email. However I'm not on the email list as I'm not a DX or in any Flight Ops department.

As for your continued excuses to justify your comment... I give up. Every time I present evidence that disproves your statements, you run to a different argument. I wouldn't be pressing so hard if you hadn't mad the statements... Im just tired of people spouting off "facts" they can't support. Again, I'm sure the OO operation is just fine... that's not the argument. It was purely that you made a statement that you can't provide evidence to support. In what way do ANY of these numbers suggest that YV has poor operational performance? Stop running toward excuses, I'm becoming embarrassed for you.

This is where I quit. At some point, you just can't reason with a person. However, I'm sure our exchange of "facts" versus excuses has opened some eyes to how knowledgeable and fact-based your statements truly are. Again, judging by the reaction of some of your own people toward you, I should have known better than to bother even trying.

I don't think there are too many people on this end wishing failure or poor performance on OO. What I will never understand is why you, XPOO, always seems so threatened by little-old-under-performing-Mesa. Hmmmm.

I haven't waffled once on my answers. I've answered everything you wanted to know. I've let you be a troll, and I've continued to feed you. If you can't accept the truth, then why do you keep seeking it? You're like Jim Carrey holding a blue pen and trying to say it's red.

And trust me, the day I'm even the slightest bit worried about Mesa, I will gladly turn in my resignation and call it a day. Ciao

Last edited:
I have a dispatcher license as well as an ATP. I have done both and prefer being a pilot any day of the week and twice on Sunday. That's why I am a pilot at SKYW.

All in all however I will say, I spent weeks getting my dispatcher done, but years becoming a pilot that could get hired at a 121 airline. And while yes any pilot could do a dispatchers job we still need dispatchers and I am glad we have some good one's here at SKYW.

Oh and BTW, I know from experience very few dispatchers make the top end of that pay scale. Not all can be managers. But anyways, I digress....this conversation is still stupid a pathetic.

Latest resources

Back