• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, ask the 777 captain who showed up for a flight when there was hiring going on and was greeted by three probationary copilots as his first officer and IROs. I'm sure he rested quite comfortably over the north pole and north pacific when he left the flight deck in the hands of two guys right out of training.

Seems that right about that time the company started looking into why so many pilots were bypassing moving to the left seat or larger equipment. Their answer was the contract had gutted all quality of life guarantees so the only way to guarantee some quality of life was to stay as senior as you could on junior equipment. Decided it was too hard to fix and the issue died a natural death when the economy went south and they furloughed.

I mostly agree with what you're saying; Probably would be better to fully augment

Something I learned after upgrade: We don't hire co-pilots. (We used to! But not anymore.) There isn't anybody confused about what's going on at this level. It's really just a matter of who was hired first and who has found a way to stay the longest. I wish it wasn't that way, but the age change really watered down the esteem factor in command. I'm right in the middle of CAL's list and just spent several years flying with the junior half, but now back flying with the senior half. The junior half will be better captains than the senior half is now.

We don't hire co-pilots....There isn't anybody confused about what's going on at this level.
You're right. At the majors, everyone's been a captain somewhere else, sometimes for many years. And "at this level" there's no confusion.

But....

-- IROs = FOs and were rated by doing one approach, one landing, and one taxi from the left seat up to a decade or more ago. Since then, they did not go through five weeks captain upgrade, have never had a left seat sim check, and have never been subject to left seat sim training and evals, or left seat line checks.

-- and, the public only knows "captains" and "copilots" and nothing else, and two "copilots" are alone up there flying the plane

Put those two together after an event that does not go normally and you have "Next on CNN: are copilots who haven't been trained in the left seat as captains flying your plane? Only one airline does it. Stay tuned to find out which one--and how the FAA allows it."

Everything comes to light when things go wrong as seen most recently in the oil spill. When the media and the government get into it, nothing stays hidden. And while those in the business understand "ratings," "first officers," "IROs," "PIC" and other terms, the public knows captains and copilots and as far as they can tell, copilots are flying those airplanes.

Last edited:
I don't know. I think we already eclipsed this issue when the 777 landed in EWR. THe media was ready for a fiasco and there was none. In fact, it was a non-event. The camera never left the airplane from approach, landing and taxi in.

Captains are paid better and are oldler than they used to be. That's all the public sees now. And when this current group starts bawling about working longer they are going to know it's only about greed.

:smash:Niner :uzi: Forty :beer: One

tic toc, tic toc...

I got this 2 days in a row? slackers...

Last edited:
I don't know what your computer says. But mine has the same date posted for mine and yours.

Latest resources

Back