• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CAL has had TWO over 60 Captains die inflight. Not exactly how I'd like to go out. I'd rather do it on the fishin' boat long after I retire at 60!

tick, tick, tick
Gup
How about the 300 people sitting behind him! There is only one fully qualified and trained captain on any CAL flight, no matter how long the flight is. Newark to Hong Kong 16 hours--ONE captain. When he goes back for rest, guess who's flying? Two copilots, neither have been through the captain's upgrade course. The ONLY airline that does this. FAA allows it through a technicality.

How about the 300 people sitting behind him! There is only one fully qualified and trained captain on any CAL flight, no matter how long the flight is. Newark to Hong Kong 16 hours--ONE captain. When he goes back for rest, guess who's flying? Two copilots, neither have been through the captain's upgrade course. The ONLY airline that does this. FAA allows it through a technicality.

I hear what your're saying, but we saw how this plays out when the guy died enroute. CNN filmed the airplane land normally, taxi in, and go to the gate. Normally. There are a lot of us who have upgraded and been sent back to the right seat and a lot of us long overdue for upgrade. One of these guys dies enroute? Big f-ing deal. Haul his/her dead body out of your seat, land and go to the gate. Fill out a pay claim and make your commute flight home. Skip flowers to the funeral. You don't owe their dead a$$ $hit....

I hear what your're saying, but we saw how this plays out when the guy died enroute. CNN filmed the airplane land normally, taxi in, and go to the gate. Normally. There are a lot of us who have upgraded and been sent back to the right seat and a lot of us long overdue for upgrade. One of these guys dies enroute? Big f-ing deal. Haul his/her dead body out of your seat, land and go to the gate. Fill out a pay claim and make your commute flight home. Skip flowers to the funeral. You don't owe their dead a$$ $hit....
Yea, but it's borrowed time. At some point things won't go normally.

Within the industry, people know what's going on, thinning the margin of safety for these kinds of money-saving practices. But if there's an incident it won't look good. We know what a captain, a first officer and an international relief officer are. But outside the industry, there's just the captain and the copilot--and when you've got only copilot IROs, then you're asking for a media problem.

"Does the major airline you fly now use just two copilots to operate the plane, and no captain? And this on the most challenging international flights? I'm Morley Safer. Join me this week on 60 Minutes as we look at one airline's practice of using just one captain on flights up to 16 hours, and he is not even on the flight deck for six hours of it. Who is flying your plane?" tictictictictictic

Last edited:
One of these guys dies enroute? Big f-ing deal. Haul his/her dead body out of your seat, land and go to the gate. Fill out a pay claim and make your commute flight home. Skip flowers to the funeral. You don't owe their dead a$$ $hit....

I'll probably be the guy who dies enroute for saying this, but...AWESOME!

+1 Flopgut

tick-tock, tick-tock...

There are a lot of us who have upgraded and been sent back to the right seat and a lot of us long overdue for upgrade
Well, ask the 777 captain who showed up for a flight when there was hiring going on and was greeted by three probationary copilots as his first officer and IROs. I'm sure he rested quite comfortably over the north pole and north pacific when he left the flight deck in the hands of two guys right out of training.

Seems that right about that time the company started looking into why so many pilots were bypassing moving to the left seat or larger equipment. Their answer was the contract had gutted all quality of life guarantees so the only way to guarantee some quality of life was to stay as senior as you could on junior equipment. Decided it was too hard to fix and the issue died a natural death when the economy went south and they furloughed.

Latest resources

Back