• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm surprised we haven't had any die in flight or involved in a major accident yet. I predict we will, sadly. I am not hoping for it by any means! But it is a logical expectation. It's funny how SWA proclaimed that we are keeping our most experienced pilots around and how good that is for safety. After watching these old farts fall asleep every leg, struggle in vain to learn new procedures, etc. I'm not convinced that the industry is not actually significantly less safe now. I'll take an experienced 40 year old over a 60+ year old any day with my family in the back. I mean come on, how often do you see grey haired geezers doing stupid sheet on the roads and highways? Now you want them flying around at 500 mph? Oh well, 947 days till upgrades start back up (if the geezers don't fvck it away with a major accident first).

CAL has had TWO over 60 Captains die inflight. Not exactly how I'd like to go out. I'd rather do it on the fishin' boat long after I retire at 60!

tick, tick, tick
Gup

I'm not going to get too excited about this until I'm sure that the retirement age isn't going to get pushed beyond 65, it could happen. I hope that if the economy recovers and retirement balances/home values rise again some of the 60+ crowd who have done well financially will start to decide that they would rather fish, golf or whatever than get up at o-dark thirty and lug their bags through security. This life is tough enough on younger people it sure as hell has to be hard on the older guys/gals. I always thought that the entire idea behind working was to be able to retire at some point and have your time to yourself. I guess I don't understand why those who didn't lose their pensions would want to hang around forever.

It has happened

I guess I don't understand why those who didn't lose their pensions would want to hang around forever.

Unless they can take a 100% lump sum, they may fear that they will lose all or part of their pensions after they retire.

Latest resources

Back