• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
in 2008 there was going to be about 140ish retirements at CAL instead they had 140ish furloughs, think about that one for a minute.

Yes, what you say is true but that was the economy, not the change to age 65. Unfortunately, the $hit hit the fan all at once: Age 65 and the economy.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter, you crazy old dolt! Had Age 65 not happened, those furloughs wouldn't have happened.

Doesn't matter, you crazy old dolt! Had Age 65 not happened, those furloughs wouldn't have happened.
Take it easy PCL, we don't want you to have a medical event!

Let's all sing two rounds of "Hail to ALPA the wonderful" so PCL can start to breath normally.

Ah, I see the Chairman of the Board of Chicago Executive Airport has returned. So old, yet so juvenile. Dorky looking hat in your photo, by the way.

allan, my wife and I have have a decent nest egg saved for retirement, unlike you. And that's in spite of me being furloughed for 8 years so far. My retirement plans are currently to retire in my mid-50s. Since I'm 52, that's not too far in the future. We have a couple of items to square away prior to retirement but we sure as he11 aren't going to be working into our 60s. You, on the other hand, will have to work until the day you die because you didn't bother setting aside money for retirement.

I find it amusing that someone who has seen many airlines crash and burn during his career, watching many pilots have their pensions taken over by PBGC, didn't save enough to retire. Your return here may help a few of the younger readers out there that have not started to save for retirement. For those of you who haven't started saving for retirement, here's a good read of a desperate 777 captain who was approaching retirement and hadn't saved anything: http://www.age60rule.com/docs/2006 Englehardt - Blakey.pdf

Absolutely pathetic, old man.

Andy:

Your point is that you are so well prepared that you are going to retire from airline work while you're in your 50's. So what. Sure you could quit the UAL/CAL job if you want, and I can understand that, but the point I am making in my comments is that now things are better because others can retire when they want, early and as late as age 65. Some may want or need to work to age 65 and others may want to quit at an earlier age.

And obviously, the reasons for age-60 that were given by you and others for keeping age 60, being safety have been thoroughly proved wrong. There have been no incident or accident related to an over age 60 pilot.

You still say you are going to retire early. OK that's your choice. My view is that if a person has the money and hates their job, they should definitely retire as early as possible. Andy, if that's you position, I'm sure you will enjoy your retirement as much as I have enjoyed mine. And yes, I've been having a great life in my retirement, great car and motorcycle trips as well as time with my family.

The great thing now is the choices are available now that were not there before and that makes the airline job better. I'm glad I may have had a part in making the job better for others, including you.

Last edited:
I will tell you what is undaunting: the Members Only jacket the Undaunted Flyer wears to Pancake breakfasts. The last member?

That's funny. Totally untrue but funny...

That's funny. Totally untrue but funny...

Put your right hand on the Bible, type with the left. You are saying that you were not at a certain pancake breakfast in May a couple years ago wearing a tan Members Only jacket?

I know a dude who robbed a dude who knows your son. My connection pointed to me and said, "That's Undaunted Flyer." I chuckled, wrapped another pancake around a sausage, washed it down with coffee, and continued to admire the warbirds and admire the hot little tattooed airshow chicks that finished the swing shift at Dennys and drove out to the airport to satiate their desire to start their morning with a heavy dose of aviation and $6 airport grub.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back